Question about gas for the HotHead

Started by purplerhian, January 04, 2007, 04:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*rowanberry*

I got 14kg for ?13 :-) Les put me onto a well cheap place! no rental charge either! :D
Claire

xtweeksx

I had to pay a returnable deposit for my tank of ?13 and my tank is now ?16.12, the price has gone up nearly ?3 since i went to bulk fuel.

We only have one place we can get it from as far as I know here, so seems they have the monopoly. 

Thats good price your paying RB :)

Jenx

Dragonfire Glass

thanks everyone for the info.
I have bulk propane (from Martin) & a 17.5kg bottle. The size of the bottle ended up due to the seemingly total incompetence of gas suppliers round here, When it is empty I shall try & get a smaller one!
I still have a lot to learn & everyone here is incredibly helpful

Colette x

Shirley

This is a brilliant thread. Just answered a whole pile of questions I wanted to ask.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Les

Cool Shirley ... that's what this place is here for .... glad it has helped you out some :)

Les xx

MarieB

Sal, thank you SO much for putting all that info together.  It is very very helpful.    Fantastic - thank you  ;D

Redhotsal

no problem,
we've all been there, although it is a lot easier to get hold of the stuff than when I started!  :)

JoJangles

Hello!  Finding this thread very useful.  ;D  How much should I expect to pay for the initial outlay of buying a bulk propane canister?  Can someone tell me please?

tillymint

Iv'e just ordered the bulk adaptor kit from Martin it cost just over ?100,now I need to suss out where to buy the propane.Nearly there -I'm really excited!

Carol  :)

Mary

Jo, I didn't buy the tank, I paid a ?19 deposit and just swap it for a full one each time. It costs me ?18 for the 13kg refill. The place I get it (a caravan place) told me to try and get hold of any size tank, butane or propane, and I wouldn't have needed to pay any deposit to swap it for the size and type I needed. Maybe ask at the dump?

Dragonfire Glass

Local tip/recycling certre is a good place, as long as they have the type & size you need.

MrYak

To find your local Propane Suppliers  Go Here

Just enter your Postcode.

Bee

Vicki

I got mine from the local garage, it was £16 for a 11kg cannister (& they forgot to charge me the £10 deposit too ;D)

amber0307

Quote from: Redhotsal on January 06, 2007, 08:32:44 PM
Yep - Halfords do it and if you can't find it in B+Q you may have to go to B+Q Depot. The top of the bottle is a 1 inch thread and the bottle is about 12inch long and is almost always yellow though I have seen black ones. If you see blue cans they're propane.

You'll rip through a Mapp cylinder in a couple of sessions so it's a pricely option. They also lose pressure easily so you may need to stand the base of the can in warm water to regain the pressure.

Go for bulk as soon as you can - it's a gazillion times cheaper and much easier to use - Martin has everything you'll need. I never really noticed much difference between Mapp in cylinder and propane in bulk. Don't go for propane in small size though as you'll have a lot of trouble keeping your colours true (not enough oxygen in the mix). Go for a hothead - they're great little torches and you'll always have a back up if you progress onto the bigger torches.

The only drawback is the damn noise they make!

Does anyone know where I can get Mapp Gas in Edinburgh?  Do B & Q sell them and if so whereabouts in the store, or are they in storage somewhere?  :)

Or is there anywhere else that sells them?