Question about gas for the HotHead

Started by purplerhian, January 04, 2007, 04:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhotsal

Yep - Halfords do it and if you can't find it in B+Q you may have to go to B+Q Depot. The top of the bottle is a 1 inch thread and the bottle is about 12inch long and is almost always yellow though I have seen black ones. If you see blue cans they're propane.

You'll rip through a Mapp cylinder in a couple of sessions so it's a pricely option. They also lose pressure easily so you may need to stand the base of the can in warm water to regain the pressure.

Go for bulk as soon as you can - it's a gazillion times cheaper and much easier to use - Martin has everything you'll need. I never really noticed much difference between Mapp in cylinder and propane in bulk. Don't go for propane in small size though as you'll have a lot of trouble keeping your colours true (not enough oxygen in the mix). Go for a hothead - they're great little torches and you'll always have a back up if you progress onto the bigger torches.

The only drawback is the damn noise they make!

purplerhian

Well, when I can actually produce something decent I will look at upgrading my kit - just can't justify anything till then, sadly.  If I spend any more money the husband will murder me!!

Bee

Know that feeling! My fiance is always going on at me for buying new kit!

Billie

There with you!!  In fact, my husband just rolls his eyes now as soon as beads comes up... which is often... ::)

Bee

Yeah, I'm not one for cheap hobbies! First silversmithing, now beading - but they are so well matched! :D

Carol

Well my hubby's all but given up on me too - he caught me looking at Passing the Flame on Ebay earlier, shoulda seen his face when he saw the price..... ::)
Carol

Bee

I think it's a case of 'La la la...' 'Click', 'Oops, did I just acidentally buy that?!'   ::)

Redhotsal

I have a solution to this (years of practise here)......
Go to Ebay.com.
Do a search for lampwork beads.
Show list "highest first"
Show "items completed".
Wheel in other half.
Say "look, you can make loads of money at this malarky. What's a couple of hundred quid for a torch?"
Watch cartoon dollar signs light up in other half's eyes.
Click the Buy Button.

Then, several years later listen to other half berate you for not earning any money and for spending all your time on the forums "chatting to yer mates".......... ;)

littlegiggles

Dragonfire Glass

so what is the difference between bulk and not bulk?

xtweeksx

Using a map can Failariel is great for when you first start.

Its more expensive to use map. The cans also freeze as the pressure goes after a while and you have to place it in some warm water, usually between ya knees. The can lasts about 5 hours if your lucky...

Bulk, more pressure, cheaper and lasts longer....depending on your usage can last a month or so. Its recommended that you have your propane tank outside.......

Im sure theres more but I think Im brain dead tonight.....

Time for bed..

Jenx

Caroline

my last tank of propane lasted 3 months with about 10-15 hours of use a week, just started my second full tank so we'll see how this one goes

BeadyBugs

I actually kept a log of my second tank of bulk propane so I could see how many hours I got out of it on a bulk hothead set up.  I know I really should get out more - but I got 55-60 hours out of a 6kg propane, that cost about ?13 to refill.  Not bad, and made me realise I'd pretty much saved myself in what that torch time would have cost in MAPP gas, the cost of the bulk set up on the first tank. ;D

HP x
Helen P

Redhotsal

Physically the difference is this:
Not Bulk
You are using small canisters which screw directly onto the hothead. These canisters are usually in the form of Mapp gas which is essentially propane with added propadiane (might have spelt that wrong). This means that the gas burns slightly hotter than standard propane. This works well with a hothead as you have very little control over the amount of oxygen in the gas mix. Usually, you have too little oxygen but the Mapp seems to make the best use of the oxygen that is availble.

You can also use the small cylinders of just propane on a hothead. It will work in terms of making the beads but it is very hard to keep your wonderful bright glass colours true. For example your greens may go brown, your yellows may go grey. This is because with your oxygen starved flame you are pulling the oxide out of the glass rod and reverting it to its more metallic state. If you add oxygen this doesn't happen.
You can't really use butane. It's not hot enough and burns too dirty.

Bulk
We can't get large cylinders of Mapp gas in this country so your next best bet is to attach your hothead to a large cylinder of propane. The sort you see hanging around caravans, barbecues and patio heaters. It comes in a red/orange cylinder. The smallest is 3.9kg, 6kg and I believe you can get around 20 kg cylinders. They come from tool hire places, caravan shops and garages, for example.
You attach the hothead via a convertor to a standard propane hose which fits onto your bulk cylinder. You need to have a small brass convertor which takes the hotheads inch fitting down to whatever standard propane is (can't remember offhand but it's something like 1/4 inch.) You then get a crimp fitted hose on the end of this. This has to be standard pressurised gas hose (it's orange) you can't use hosepipe or any other nonsense. This then goes to a flashback arrestor and a propane regulator and then into a standard propane connector whic is brass, is quite large and has a domed end which screws into the bulk cylinder. (only lampworkers call it "bulk" - if you ask in the tool hire place they'll just look at you strangely).
Flashback arrestor - a type of valve which stops burining gas travelling back up the hose into the cylinder
Regulator - Controls the pressure and flow of the propane which is delivered to your torch. There are many different regulators around. Go for a single stage (has one dial) type.

Martin Tuffnell supplies the full bulk kit or you can make your own up if you are competent. Welding supply shops are usually more understanding of this type of thing rather than your average caravan shop. Be prepared for hours of eye rolling action from well meaning but rather chauvanistic shop keepers at this point. Or just phone up Martin who will give you exactly what you need.

You can use bulk propane rather more easily than a small propane cylinder attached to your hothead. I don't know quite why this is - I suspect the much greater pressure helps. ?Many people think that the bulk propane won't be as good as a small cylinder of Mapp, and you may find that you need to go a little slower to compensate for the slightly lower torch temperature but most people get used to it pretty quickly.

The advantage of bulk over Mapp cylinder? Easy. Cost and convenience.
A Mapp cylinder is currently around ?5 - ?8 a cylinder. This will last you for around four hours burning. A bulk cylinder will last you weeks at least, possibly months. A bulk cylinder refill will be around ?10 - you can't refill the mapp cylinders which will litter your work area and make it look like Union Carbide after a month. You can set yourself up with a bulk system for around ?80 (not sure what Tuff charges but it'll be around that).
Also as the small mapp cylinders are so dinky they'll lose pressure very quickly - you'll think you're running out of gas. As gas loses pressure it cools down. Feel the cylinder - it will be very cold. You'll need to place the cylinder in a pot of warm water to increase the pressure again. Very fiddly and inconvenient. You don't get this problem with bulk cylinders are they don't lose pressure so much.

Although the bulk cylinder is another expense which will have your partner nagging you it really pays for itself very quickly indeed. After around 10 mapp cylinders in fact. Hope this is helpful.

Caroline

Quote from: Helen P on January 08, 2007, 09:48:06 AM
I actually kept a log of my second tank of bulk propane so I could see how many hours I got out of it on a bulk hothead set up.? I know I really should get out more - but I got 55-60 hours out of a 6kg propane, that cost about ?13 to refill.? Not bad, and made me realise I'd pretty much saved myself in what that torch time would have cost in MAPP gas, the cost of the bulk set up on the first tank. ;D

HP x

wow ?13, mines about ?20, you lucky thing