Another propane question

Started by madpup, March 18, 2010, 08:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billie

Quote from: Spanna on March 19, 2010, 01:35:28 PM
Quote from: Terri on March 18, 2010, 05:24:42 PM
The connections are brass - so they shouldn't really corrode - at least not enough to be a problem even with long exposure.  This is why fittings on boats and ships are traditionally made of brass and they are exposed to salt water (very corrosive to metals).  If you want to make sure then simply coat them with some WD40 (not the thread) and put a bag or something similar over them.

There are often comments referring to room heaters, patio heaters etc and gas - caravans/boats as well.  But the gas that usually used in these appliances and in caravans and boats is butane - not propane.  The gas bottles in a caravan are almost always sited outside the caravan in a little box type effort near the towing point.  I lived on a boat for many years and had a gas cooker and fridge - both butane not propane.  I also have a caravan.

Rubber corrodes. Moisture in brass quick release couplings freezes thus inhibiting the use of such couplings (bearings inside the fittings). Butane and propane are both gas - they burn and explode. Did you really need to nit pick the general gist of my thread or do you just have to be right? I couldn't give a toss about your husbands knowledge of bombs and directional blasts - he isn't the only one who has been there and done it. This is a thread about lampworkers using gas inside not proving points about where you have lived with how many gas canisters you have lived with thus implying superior standard of equipment husbandry. If you also read the thread my point was about care of "canisters" not care of propane. Again my post also backed up your point about them withstanding more heat and pressure....yada yada.

No need to split hairs - we can all do it. And don't patronise. Its not nice.

Actually Spanna,  when reading Terri's response, she is simply trying to be helpful and recalling various points that have been raised about this issue historically.  The only response on this thread I have a problem with is the tone of yours - which is both aggressive and patronising.

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have to second you on that Billie.

It is very easy for a simple response to come across as something it isn't meant to be Spana. Be careful how you type your replies.

Tis a friendly forum ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

I try and squeeze as much cheese in as possible, I am happy to share the cheese but NEVER the cheesy puffs.

AnnaSpanna

Quote from: Billie on March 19, 2010, 06:11:38 PM

Actually Spanna,  when reading Terri's response, she is simply trying to be helpful and recalling various points that have been raised about this issue historically.  The only response on this thread I have a problem with is the tone of yours - which is both aggressive and patronising.

It is all dependent on how the quotes are read and taken, as you have also done herein,  thus I am entitled to respond to a post made on an open forum and I have made no mention or notion of aggression, as you have done. But I am back in my box and will comment no more on other peoples responses to my responses to their responses to my responses et al et al et al in fear of being moderated for my opinion and interpretation of what is written. Thank you.

Now I will let everyone get back to discussing the safety issues involved in storing gas canisters in houses....

Billie

Quote from: Spanna on March 19, 2010, 06:56:56 PM

It is all dependent on how the quotes are read and taken, as you have also done herein,  thus I am entitled to respond to a post made on an open forum and I have made no mention or notion of aggression, as you have done. But I am back in my box and will comment no more on other peoples responses to my responses to their responses to my responses et al et al et al in fear of being moderated for my opinion and interpretation of what is written. Thank you.

Now I will let everyone get back to discussing the safety issues involved in storing gas canisters in houses....

If I was moderating I'd have locked the thread when I received a message to my inbox from a concerned member of the forum drawing attention to the response you made to Terri's response.  I have merely responded with an opinion as you have responded with yours.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Your response was reported to me as well I'm afraid.

No one is telling you to 'get back into your box' just a friendly reminder that terse responses can be seen as inflammatory.

Ian R Pearson

Bottom line is that Propane is safe, be it inside or outside. 29 years of using it outside and 20 inside. Not an issue. Sorry I have no pictures even if I knew how to put them here. A cage exists to secure cylinders. BOC have good info

HTH

Ian

Krysia@No98

humm after the racket that has been going on up stairs ALL day to day, the idea of a directional blast was quite appealing up to about and hour ago when they finally put their little one to bed and kicked out their very noisy visitors (who also had children)!!

:-\ I guess I'm not getting a lie in tomorrow  >:(
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

★★Terri★★

Quote from: Spanna on March 19, 2010, 06:56:56 PM

It is all dependent on how the quotes are read and taken, as you have also done herein,  thus I am entitled to respond to a post fear of being moderated for my opinion and interpretation of what is written. Thank you.

OMG! - without wishing to cause offense to anyone - gulp!  I agree with your point Spanna - it is dependant on how things are read and taken and I apologise unreservededly if I came across as nit picking - really I am not.  Just trying to help if I can and offer support and advice based on experience.  I know no-one is really interested in how I got the experience, I  was simply trying to qualify my response with some background.  I suppose, with us creative types, we can get a bit passionate at times.

I offer thanks to those who felt moved enough to report Spanna's post to the moderators, it is the sign of a strong community that we look out for each other.  But, on a personal level I did not take offense.

What I did find a bit offensive tho, was the remark someone made reference my hubby's input on how an explosion works.  Perhaps many forum members are too young to recall N Ireland in the '70s and the bombings here in the UK.  Many young military personnel were maimed and killed, just as they are being now (along with children,and other innocent bystanders)........by small devices.  The military trained my husband and his comrades to know how to react in order to preserve life where possible in terrible situations.  It felt as if someone was 'making light' of a serious point - but heyho, whoever you are - you are just entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

Terri

Margram

Oh dear. I thought your original response,Terri, was thorough and informative and I didn't read it as patronising in any way.  I also think llewenogg's quip about superheroes was just that - a little lighthearted joke to try to break the atmosphere :) As is so frequent on forums,if we were chatting over a pint in the pub none of this misunderstanding would have happened. :-\
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

llewennog

im serious about things on a very occasional basis, having served frontline with the British Army & well as with other more clandestine regiments. I know full well that life is far to short & precious to ever take stuff seriously, There was no offence meant to anyone with my sarcasm, but im welsh from the valleys and its hard not to be sarcastic!

madpup

Quote from: llewennog on March 20, 2010, 11:35:55 AM
im serious about things on a very occasional basis, having served frontline with the British Army & well as with other more clandestine regiments. I know full well that life is far to short & precious to ever take stuff seriously, There was no offence meant to anyone with my sarcasm, but im welsh from the valleys and its hard not to be sarcastic!

being from the valleys too i fully get it, i have not served (gammy heart) but i have lost way too many friends and i too know life is too short to
worry about the little things, so with this in mind please play nice, and thank you everybody that replyed to my question.

kind regards

Mark
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Soozintheshed

I have mine in these plastic sheds, the hose goes through a hole drilled into the back, and then into the shed.

They fasten with a padlock, so no one can fiddle with them, and better still - no one knows what's in them  ;D

They cost around £50 from Argos.

Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

madpup

Thanks Sooz, thats what i was looking for,  :)
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Soozintheshed

Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed