Help please - oxycon problem?

Started by Redkite, March 27, 2010, 08:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redkite

This evening, my oxycon has started playing up!

It is making quite a racket and vibrating lots. Also, the flow rate is varying: on my usual setting it gives a steady 4lpm, but it now goes from 2.5 to 4 as it "breathes", making it impossible to get a steady flame.

It isn't beeping or flashing its little light, but it's definitely not well.  :(

Any suggestions?

Dragonfire Glass

Redkite

I checked the little foamy bit at the back. What do I have to do to check the filters? (As you can tell, I haven't ever done this, so that's more than likely my problem!!!)

Kaz

I wonder if one of our oxycon suppliers could please write us up a blow by blow account to servicing and maintaining your oxy. (and list the bloomin' spare filters for sale on their websites as these seem as rare as rocking horse wotsit - I keep asking on every order I place but they never arrive!!!)
One of mine which is less than a year old is also playing up - keeps red lighting and causing havoc with my lynx - I'd rather have a go at servicing it properly than just sending it back when it may be simple to rectify.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

amareargentum

Have you tried washing the foam filter on the back? Mine starts to wheeze and the flame becomes variable. It has done it a couple of times and when I wash out the filter (dry it properly before you put it back) it has been fine. Which oxycon have you got? Q sent me instructions on changing the internal filters on the Airsept.
HTH
Amanda

Redkite

Well, I found this thread, which contains some useful advice about changing the filters from Q:

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17442.0

But I have cleaned the black filter at the back of the unit and have removed the grey felt filter and tried to run it for a couple of minutes without it, but no difference.

Also this thread about problems caused by dampness in the filter beds:

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4388.0

So my next step, while I wait to hear from Q is to bring it indoors and try to run it for a bit to dry out any moisture. I don't think my shed is particularly damp and I have a heater in there that kicks in automatically to keep the temperature above freezing, but I want to try all possibilities before having to send it off for repair!!

Guess I'll be getting the old Hothead out of it's box tomorrow!!!

Pat from Canvey

When my new Nuvo oxcon was playing up I was very annoyed but opened it up and discovered a square 9 volt battery inside. I thought "in for a penny, in for a pound " replaced it and it's worked well ever since.