ventilation help

Started by ventilation, March 08, 2010, 06:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ventilation

Quote from: JaySpangles on March 09, 2010, 04:43:01 PM
Thanks for the info

"So if we take for example hvk 100 fan as an example it will shift 175m3 in an hour, divide this by 12 (our room size) and it tells us the fan will exchange your whole volume of air 14.5 times every hour, roughyly a complete air exchange every 4.1mins."

So how many times per hour should I aim to change my air ideally?

nice avatar!

well if you are in a very small enclosed room i personally would not want to breathing fumes for any length of time, as i said i dont know what kind of fumes your work gives off but an extraction fan set close to your working are is going to suck the fumes away immediately, so its not so much about exchanging the whole area of air.

Most memebers here i have sold fans to use a tornado (mainly because its acoustic) in a small work area and it works fine shifting 325m3 an hour, it provides a bit of overkill as it is a simple solution that means you dont have to build a hood above your work area and can instead plonk a fan down on the table next to you. If i am honest with a hood fitted above your work station (thus making the collection of fumes more efficient) i would think an hvk 175m3 per hour would do the job for a typical working space. Obviously everyones situation is slightly different so it can be a 'suck it and see' type scenario.

Krysia@No98

I read some where that you should have a complete change of air every 6 minutes.  Which is a complete change 10 times an hour.

so from your calculations, I'd say your more then covered!
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

sarah t

our own vent guy ..how exciting ...i think you might be busy  :D

think a ventilation question thread might be in order  ???

welcome to fh ......

Margram

Hi Steve and welcome to our world! :D 

I got my fan from you at Christmas and we still haven't got it up and running ::).  The flame is flickering too
much to use, so I'm wondering if I got one that is too powerful (Airforce 200, in a small shed, and in a barley box).  You
have a speed reducer on your site, but it is temperature controlled and I would just want a simple one that I can set to slow,
medium and fast. Any idea where I can get a suitable one? :-\
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

ventilation

Quote from: sarah t on March 10, 2010, 10:31:31 AM
our own vent guy ..how exciting ...i think you might be busy  :D

think a ventilation question thread might be in order  ???

welcome to fh ......

vent guy.....hmm ill go with that

ill look at starting a vents thread sarah....

ventilation

Quote from: Margram on March 12, 2010, 12:54:51 PM
Hi Steve and welcome to our world! :D 

I got my fan from you at Christmas and we still haven't got it up and running ::).  The flame is flickering too
much to use, so I'm wondering if I got one that is too powerful (Airforce 200, in a small shed, and in a barley box).  You
have a speed reducer on your site, but it is temperature controlled and I would just want a simple one that I can set to slow,
medium and fast. Any idea where I can get a suitable one? :-\

if noise is not too much of an issue (they make the fans buzz a bit) the simplest cheapest option is a systemair controller, they cost about £55 ....if noise is an issue then an airforce controller is the best option, these are simply dial controllers..but a bit pricey.... http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_3248.html

we used to sell the systemairs and im still in contact with that company so if you want one let me know

hope that helps
steve

Margram

Oh, thank you - I'm going to order the quiet, pricey one (ouch!) - don't want to annoy the neighbours... :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

beckyg

Hi Steve,

I have been wondering about ventilation for a while! I don't know anything about anything technical, so could you tell me everything I need and what I should do with it please?! I work in my conservatory (c. 4m x 3m x2m). I don't want to cut any holes or fix anything permanently as I tend to reorganise the room fairly often and my husband has even less DIY skills than me anyway. I do have lots of windows, so could those silver tube thingies go in/out of one of those?

Please help! I realise that just opening the door is not good enough and I need to invest in proper ventilation!

Becky

Dragonfire Glass

I work in a conservatory and don't have an adequate fan, but the on I do have has the silver vent pipe just poking out of a window

Nick

Hi and welcome,

Another satisfied customer, good advice and great customer service. I bought the HVK 250A1 Fan (800m3/hr) a little noisier than the Airforce models but a great fan which works well. I think if I wanted to add more torches in the future this fan would handle this with ease. I work from a conservatory and have the fan next to the window with tubing going from my work space to the fan and then out of the open window. I use and old piece of cardboard covered in clingfilm which wedges into the window opening from the end of the window frame to the ducting. Hopefully with will help reduce any fumes from being blown back into the room. (Although I think the force of the fan will prevent this). My aim is to put the fan into a lined wooden housing in my shed (when I get a shed) to reduce the noise even more.

Krysia@No98

I'd love to see pictures of this.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

ventilation

Quote from: beckyg on April 25, 2010, 03:25:06 PM
Hi Steve,

I have been wondering about ventilation for a while! I don't know anything about anything technical, so could you tell me everything I need and what I should do with it please?! I work in my conservatory (c. 4m x 3m x2m). I don't want to cut any holes or fix anything permanently as I tend to reorganise the room fairly often and my husband has even less DIY skills than me anyway. I do have lots of windows, so could those silver tube thingies go in/out of one of those?

Please help! I realise that just opening the door is not good enough and I need to invest in proper ventilation!

Becky

hi becky sorry for the late reply on this one, yes you can poke flexible ducting out of one of your windows. So you would need a fan for a small work space the 100mm ksa is adequate http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_3243.html these just plug in to a normal socket. You would then need ducting to match, id imagine 5 mtrs would be plenty so here http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_1762.html this just slides over the spigot on the fan, you would then use a 100mm hose clip http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_349.html to fix it to the fan, so no diy skills needed by you....or your husband!
hope this helps
steve

beadysam

I'm just sooooo glad my ventilation is done and dusted.  It was the most expensive and difficult part of setting up to lampwork.  Well, now I have a fan that on full power sounds like a jet engine and has the power to suck the knickers off a virgin!!!!  Good luck to all you lot struggling with it, I've put that horrible experience to the back of my mind never to be revisited! :o

sea-thistle

My neighbour over the back of us, kept going out to find the helicopter, he thought that was flying about, lol. Then realised it was my ventilation in the shed! hehehe :D

Dragonfire Glass

Quote from: beadysam on May 18, 2010, 08:29:23 PM
and has the power to suck the knickers off a virgin!!!! 

and you know this? ......