ventilation help

Started by ventilation, March 08, 2010, 06:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollergrafik

I have one of your fans too and love it, use it everyday almost.

sparrow

Haha, you should see it now.....I really need to tidy up!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

SallyR

Hi Steve - from another satisfied customer!

Sally
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want ...

JaySpangles

Hi Steve
I live in a rented property so I don't want to bash a hole in the wall.  Is it ok to have a tube attached to the output of the fan and stuff it out of a window?
How do I calculate the rate of extraction that I need? I know the cubic size of my shed but don't know how often the air should be changed.
My OH was keen to install a domestic cooker hood - we saw one in B&Q for about £60,  Having briefly looked at your website it seems that I would have to spend considerably more to use your equipment.

Thanks
Janet

Pandanimal

My husband got me an air force 200 to go in my new studio space. I'm just waiting for him to install it and put in a bench.
Is there any advice he might need on installing it?

llewennog

Hey Steve, Im looking for some dimpled mylar, and couple of 600w hps bulbs, and a new nft flow tray as well as a stack of hoses & connectors for my autopot rig.
Whatcha got lad?

Lush!

::) ::)

I was keeping up with this thread but ya just lost me ....

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Krysia@No98

I have some spare tubing left over from when I installed my fan if anyone wants it.  I have about two meters.

Llewennog - stop showing off!

-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

paintboxcrafts

Hello from another satisfied customer,

You can just peek my airforce sitting behind my barley box.
mm ...that sounds a bit cheeky.

www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

ventilation

Quote from: SallyR on March 09, 2010, 08:31:30 AM

Hi Steve - from another satisfied customer!

hello there sally ...thats good to know thank you....

ventilation

Quote from: helenfchalmers on March 08, 2010, 10:11:46 PM
think it was you i spoke to last week steve when my fan was getting sent out...i answered the phone mid-bead and you were like 'oh i know that noise, youre melting glass right now!'
welcome to fh, couldnt believe the psychic hothead detection abilities  ;D love the fan too :)

im pretty sure that was my business partner Dave.,....we have learnt to recognise the sounds at the end of the line......so beware!!
glad the fan worked ok for you.....

ventilation

Quote from: hollergrafik on March 08, 2010, 10:28:18 PM
I have one of your fans too and love it, use it everyday almost.

excellent thats what we like to hear!  :)

ventilation

Quote from: JaySpangles on March 09, 2010, 08:55:38 AM
Hi Steve
I live in a rented property so I don't want to bash a hole in the wall.  Is it ok to have a tube attached to the output of the fan and stuff it out of a window?
How do I calculate the rate of extraction that I need? I know the cubic size of my shed but don't know how often the air should be changed.
My OH was keen to install a domestic cooker hood - we saw one in B&Q for about £60,  Having briefly looked at your website it seems that I would have to spend considerably more to use your equipment.

Thanks
Janet

hello Janet,

poking ducting out of the window is not a problem, its a good idea to make the distance between fan and exhaust point as small as possible. To calculate the size fan you need to use is a bit of an open ended question, firstly you need to claculate the volume of your room in m3. so length x breadth x height so if we say your room is 3m long 2m wide and 2m high would give us a cubic volume of 12m3.
Most fans will have a cubic capacity listed for the amount of air they can move in 1 hour.

So if we take for example hvk 100 fan as an example it will shift 175m3 in an hour, divide this by 12 (our room size) and it tells us the fan will exchange your whole volume of air 14.5 times every hour, roughyly a complete air exchange every 4.1mins.

Pressure also effects the amount of air movement and this is where it can get quite complicated!! but you should always lean towards more than less air movement. Bear in mind that really the fan wants to be moving air away from your working area so a booth or hood will make it more efficient. I should point out i am no expert when it comes to the intircacies of how you work and what your requirements are, but a hood is a good idea as it catches hot air rising, if you can get it close enough to your working area and it extracts the fumes then it is doing its job.

A good way of testing this is with a smoke bomb, but these are not so readily available, joss sticks make a useful alternative.

So yes you could use your cooker hood, i am unsure if the model you are looking at has a fan, cheaper ones rely on carbon filters and dont actually extract the fumes so this maybe something you could check, conversely if it has a fan fitted check its rating (how much air it shifts).

If it is just a hood then a good quality high powered fan attached to it that extracted out of your room would be the ideal option.

hope this helps

steve

ventilation

Quote from: llewennog on March 09, 2010, 09:52:04 AM
Hey Steve, Im looking for some dimpled mylar, and couple of 600w hps bulbs, and a new nft flow tray as well as a stack of hoses & connectors for my autopot rig.
Whatcha got lad?

got the lot;
dimpled mylar;  http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_3383.html
600w hps; http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/hid_lamps.html
nft trays hoses in here; http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/hydrosystems.html

thats the first time ive been called lad for about 25 years!!

JaySpangles

Thanks for the info

"So if we take for example hvk 100 fan as an example it will shift 175m3 in an hour, divide this by 12 (our room size) and it tells us the fan will exchange your whole volume of air 14.5 times every hour, roughyly a complete air exchange every 4.1mins."

So how many times per hour should I aim to change my air ideally?