Wire loops in dichro pendants

Started by Bluebell, October 28, 2009, 10:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebell

Here it is!!!!

Thank you Dennis for the tip of the wire through the cab.  I fused this cab last night with a piece of fine silver wire wrapped in ThinFire sandwiched in between.  Only did one (in with everything else) as I wanted to see how it would turn out.  There was a bit of a wobble going on so I stuck tiny pieces of clear glass on the 4 corners, but in hindsight should have just run thin strips down each side of the wire for the entire length of the cab as it has turned out a bit monkeynut shaped as the ends were built up to 8mm. 

The wire pulled out no problem and after a quick wash and spray down the centre, it was perfect!

So this morning I had a rummage in my beads and put this together with what I had. I have used aqua coloured copper wire to match some of the colour in the cab and some co-ordinating beads.

I'm reeeeaaalllly happy with how this technique has turned out - so it's just practice, practice practice now.

Thanks again!!!!!!!

chocolateteapot

Thats a look i have never seen b4, well done, i thought he meant horizontal which i do anyway but i dont always like the funny shape they come out. that looks great, well done..xxxx
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

noora

That looks great! How much thinfire paper did you use?

I guess it could work with a steel pin (a thin mandrel perhaps) dipped in bead release too?

Dennis Brady

Quote from: noora on November 26, 2009, 01:32:13 PM
That looks great! How much thinfire paper did you use?

I guess it could work with a steel pin (a thin mandrel perhaps) dipped in bead release too?

It will work with a mandrel but you should expect to lose some cabs because some will break when you remove the mandrel.  The longer the bead, the greater the ratio of loss.  A piece of copper wire is preferable because when you pull on it, it stretches and becomes thinner - thus releasing easily.  Problem with any method that relies on bead release or kiln wash is cleaning out residue from the hole.  That's why ceramic fibre paper is the more popular choice.  It leaves a perfectly clean hole.

Dennis Brady

QuoteThere was a bit of a wobble going on so I stuck tiny pieces of clear glass on the 4 corners, but in hindsight should have just run thin strips down each side of the wire for the entire length of the cab as it has turned out a bit monkeynut shaped as the ends were built up to 8mm. 

You might also try a slightly longer hold at full fuse temp to reduce the dogbone effect.

noora

Thanks Dennis! I'll have to try it out :)

Flippopotamus

Just to add.....
Warm Glass sell Fibre Rope (look under Studio Supplies/Studio Essentials) which has the same effect as rolled up thinfire.  However, you can unwind it to get very thin pieces if you just need a very small hole for fishing line (eg for Christmas tree ornaments).  It keeps its integrity in firing and pulls out very easily, though I have noticed some of the needling effect around the ends of the hole as mentioned above, but that's easily removed afterwards.
Flip

noora

I actually just got a delivery from Warm Glass that included some fibre rope :) I have a few beads in the kiln right now, but once they're done I'll make some "cabs with holes" and try out the different options.