Kaiser Lee Board

Started by fleurbrawl, August 02, 2009, 05:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleurbrawl

Is anyone else using this stuff for slumping?
Can you use kiln wash on it or do you have to stick with thinfire paper?
Kays' OH :)

2B or not 2B, that is the pencil.

Nina A

I've used kaiser Lee, and I used Kiln wash for the first three of four firings,   I then use a bit of thinfire for the next couple just in case.

fleurbrawl

Thanks,
the shape I've carved lends itself better to wash than thinfire.
I'll give it a few coats and see what happens.

Warm Glass UK

It can also be fired without kiln wash!

Pippa

fleurbrawl

Zeldazog

I have used without kilnwash, and it doesn't stick to the glass.  However, the glass did pick up the texture of the Kaiser Lee board (which was quite nice!)

I *think* you can sand paper it (perhaps Pippa can confirm this) - but USE A DUST MASK!

fleurbrawl

I did rub one of the offcuts with a bit of sandpaper and that did work.
I've used the back of a blade to smooth down the areas that were cut. Quite like the texture left on the top.
But I know what you mean about the dust... and the glass splinters, great fun picking them out of my fingers.

Warm Glass UK

Yes, it can be sanded - we use fine grade paper in the studio here to get a really smooth finish where desired. Definitely, as when you are using any fusing products which contain particles such as frits, powders etc, we always wear a Dust Mask and would recommend others to do likewise. At least because this stuff is prefired, it doesn't give off unpleasant fumes on firing!  :) Pippa

fleurbrawl

I've tried a firing without kilnwash/paper now.
Worked quite well and did indeed pick up every bit of the texture. It also took a while to get the KLB bits out of the glass :)

I'm going to try again later with the same mold kilnwashed. It's been drying for a couple of days now.