Main Menu

Iris Frit

Started by Trudi, May 30, 2007, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

*rowanberry*

I have both iris green and iris blue (and iris black in a rod!) I should use them again...

Iris black does weird things as dots on white btw...

Claire

Phoenix*

i have some iris black frit and haven't known what to do with it! It;s looked horrible on everything I;ve done so far!  >:(
Kim :)    &  www.phoenixbeads.co.uk

*rowanberry*

have your tried it pulled into a stringer? (i only have rod, not frit).
When used as dots it does a weird bleeding/creating a line thing which when meeting with other dots did a VERY interesting effect!
Claire

Phoenix*

hmmm i wonder if I melt it all onto a clear stringer it will do the same... ;D worth a go....something new to experiment with  ;D
Kim :)    &  www.phoenixbeads.co.uk

♥♥Tan♥♥

I cant make iris purple/violet or what ever its called do anything except look a bit dirty :-\

*rowanberry*

dont think I've tried that stuff
does it not bleed and do interesting stuff?
I tried one wine coloured reichenbach (wasnt meant to be an iris one i think) and it went into an array of colours on me like raku - if only i could remember what it was - but it was intriguing!
Claire

♥♥Tan♥♥

it does bleed but in a dirty irregular way, it kind of looks fried rather than just webbing out nicely and it went all sorts of boring colours.....I thought at least the purple would be more prominent but it wasnt even a good purple...I cant remember where I got it but I just steer clear of anything with the variations of iris purple in the title ;D

It was so disappointing because I love the blue and green

Trudi

Well .. I tried the tip about the ivory - base - it did help, but still not brilliant results - especailly compared to the gree & gold iris...



But I'd bought light blue iris frit from Beady Sam - wow - much better!



This is godl iris on coral with a lt pink encasing


And this is green iris on pea green with a lt green encasing


Billie

The gold iris is very pretty,  I must play more with frits  :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

ooo Im loving iris gold :o

beadysam

Iris amber green is my fave... ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

I dont think I have that....Im in shock :o

have you got it sam?

Billie

What does it look like?  I should get an order in before I need to pay for shipping to France...  ;D ;D

Val Cox

Quote from: beadysam on July 16, 2007, 11:28:20 AM
Iris amber green is my fave... ;D

yes, Iris Amber Green is lovely some unexpected green and gold colors can emerge from it, especially when encased. It's not as reactive for example as Iris Gold, if you are looking for a 'metallic' reduction effect. Just avoid using Iris Amber Green on Moretti Ivory or you'll get a muddy brown. (I love the iris blue, iris green colors too. The iris violet--yuk, not a nice one in my opinion for lampworking, in glassblowing, I'm sure it's fine)

Iris Gold is a classic and there is really no other Iris color like it. It the best of the Iris glassblowing colors, in my opinion, to have a wonderful effect in the cross over to lampworking, both as a surface reduction color, or when encased for a dreamy effect.

Kugler's version of Iris Gold, I found is a little more concentrated than Reichenbach's Iris Gold, though both are excellent for lampworking use. Kugler has only a dark Iris Gold, (218), Reichenbach also has a light Iris Gold (217), in addition to their dark Iris Gold (218).  Gaffer's version (Iris Yellow Lustre) is weak in comparison, Zimmermann's version (Iridizing Amber Brown) was too expensive to import into the USA, so I never experimented much with it these past years. Iris Gold in a #00 grind size is wonderful for surface texturing when reduced. #1 size is wonderful when you encase or use over silver.

My favorite faux-boro effect from Iris Gold (either light iris gold or dark iris gold), is to start with a small dark base bead, (transparent or opaque, black, dark purple, etc) a single wrap of silver foil over the base bead, burnished in and burned off in the flame. Over this silver add a layer of Iris Gold frit (#00, #0, #1 or #2 grind size), burn this smooth, then encase in clear. A lovely blue green boro effect emerges from within!

oh so much to be said about the iris colors, I could go on and on, but I don't want to hog the thread! Val

Billie

Can't speak for the others, but I don't mind you hogging!  I enjoyed reading that  ;D ;D