Sucky suck suck!

Started by Lush!, February 28, 2011, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

Mine aren't silent but it really is just a rushing air noise, not anything mechanical.  I was worried about disturbing the neighbours but on the outside the sound is no louder than my boiler outlet.  Mine isn't across the room, Sue, its right under my desk - maybe its because you have the extra noise of the HH?  Even with both of mine running, I still don't think they equal the HH volume! 

Quote from: julieHB on February 28, 2011, 02:21:44 PM
I see you have the ventilation sucking downwards - how well does that work, seeing as the hot air travels upwards? It sounds as if the suck is more than strong enough, just wondered...

It appears to be strong enough, Julie, that it just grabs the air before flapping it in front of my face.  We did a smoke test first because we expected to need a kind of 'periscope' tube to bring the outlet up to torch height but it just doesn't seem necessary - and I must admit to going for style over extra-just-in-case-safety  :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Blue Box Studio

When I turn mine off and the fan is stopping it is silent, so guess it must be the air movement.  Outside it's a humming noise, no one has complained yet but my combi boiler is far quieter.  Well, it's moving the air out so guess that must be right.  I learned not to wave the frit infront of it else I paint the wall of the other shedio outside.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lush!

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on February 28, 2011, 03:03:58 PM
I learned not to wave the frit infront of it else I paint the wall of the other shedio outside.

I haven't tried this yet ...

sarah t

i looked at nail stations when i was thinking of doing up the shed ...they have ones with a vent ,places for lamps etc ...i ended up with a lump of mdf but a girl can dream !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAIL-MANICURE-TABLE-/250780716367?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Nails_Manicure_Pedicure_CA&hash=item3a63b20d4f...i am sure these could be adapted to suit our needs

cbeadies

Your studio looks beautiful, I love it!

Lotti

Quote from: Tan on February 28, 2011, 02:30:51 PM
Gutted........with a title like that I expected something a bit more than fans.

Although, there is something that makes me go weak at the knees looking at that set up :D

Me too... both statements !  :o ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Well, mine is about a foot or so in front of me,sitting on a little wooden stool and up against the dividing wall to next door, they haven't noticed it at all and I stick the hose out the cat flap and it is silent..............unless there is a terrified cat pawing at it frantically in the torrential rain and wondering why they are no longer loved enough to be let in :'(

I would say it makes less noise than a hairdryer bearing in mind the last time I owned one was ten years ago.

Blue Box Studio

What's a hairdryer?  I have a thing like a hairdyer (says hairdryer on the box?) that I use to quickly dry devore paste on velvet but it is noisy too.  Granted the latter is a more annoying whiney noise.

Guess I just have a noisey one!
Sue

♥♥Tan♥♥

I quite like mine, it has a soothing whirry quality to it and when you stare into it...........................hypnotic

Blue Box Studio

Good heavens, if I looked into mine spinning around I'd be sucked in and be permanently boss eyed.  It's not a soothing purr, more like and angry lion roar.
Sue

♥♥Tan♥♥

Has a dragon moved in and you didn't realise perhaps?

kerensky

Your studio is really lovely. I am amazed that your ventilation works so well, given that it is not strong enough to move the flower, and yet -  the pull affects the opening of the door.

I have a periscope jutting out of my surface and sometimes wonder if that could be improved, so your set up is very interesting. I am going to add another ventilation point too, so perhaps I could try this as it certainly looks very neat and tidy, and less like the inside of a submarine.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Tan on February 28, 2011, 08:06:24 PM
Has a dragon moved in and you didn't realise perhaps?

Ah, that'd be a Welsh dragon, from Cardiff that came across from Penarth to Clevedon pier on the Waverley paddle steamer then?  Nope, any dragon would be seen off by my 2 cats, only they rule this roost.  Mine would have sucked the flower in, chomped on it noisily then spit it out onto the other shedio wall, same as the frit.  Granted it has poor manners.
Sue

Beady Bean

Hi Julie, was just looking round the forum getting some ideas for my "studio" and spotted the pics of your finished studio...it looks amazing, you must be so pleased! ;D As your first student in the not-quite-complete studio I have to say I had the best day! Anyway, had to join the forum just to tell you that. Thanks again for getting me totally hooked on lampwork and I dare say I'll be posting many a question on here. Ruth
Ruth x

Lush!

Hi Ruth!  I'm so pleased you found us - and thank you for your lovely comment!