Sucky suck suck!

Started by Lush!, February 28, 2011, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

Mahoosive thank you to our Tan, for her excellent advice in this thread about ventilation http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24865.0

For my new studio I bought two of the exact fans she specified here, and my dad got an ebay seller (smile-vents) to put together a job-lot order of all the tubing, bends and end thingies.

Well today the electrician came back and wired the fans in properly and switched everything on together - it all works so efficiently that we couldn't actually open the door!  Now that's what I call sucking great;D

Now you might think that with that much power, stuff would be blowing about and turning inside out but I put a flower right next to the inlet on my desk and it didn't even move!   Amazing!

The whole system is beautifully neat too - only one duct is visible above the student desk and that was just because we couldn't drill through the old garage wall for the outlet so it has to go up and out through an old window opening.  It was all much cheaper than I would have expected - the Ebay lot only came to about £60 including delivery!

Its also extremely quiet, we were expecting to need to add a silencer on the outside but I don't think that's going to be necessary.

This is how neat the system is on my desk, all you can really see is the outlet in front of my torch.

We also expected that mounting the fans under the desks would cause a vibration problem, but nope, nothing wobbles either!  :D :D

I hope this is of help to somebody with their own set up - and do just ask if you want any more info or closer pics.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

MyPrecious

Thanks Julie! I'll think of this thread and Tan's one when I set up my studio in Belfast this summer. :)
Kathy

My website

rocky

:o That is awesome. Just awesome. You must be sooo pleased with that!!! :) :)
Deanne x

Margram

It looks really good, a neat solution :).
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Lush!

Yes Kathy, do! 

Thanks Marg and Rocky, I'm very pleased - and trying to open the door with both fans working is a great party trick  ;D ;D

Billie

That's a neat way of doing it  ;)  Likey a lot  ;D

MadelineBunyan

thanks for sharing Julie...we're just working out exactly how mine is going to work, where its going and stuff.

got a pesky skylight in the way  ::)

julieHB

What a beautiful studio!!! And the ventilation is great-looking too  :)

I see you have the ventilation sucking downwards - how well does that work, seeing as the hot air travels upwards? It sounds as if the suck is more than strong enough, just wondered...
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

MyPrecious

I was wondering, what do you use for make-up air? In my current studio, I  usually have my window wide open when my fan is on, but it seems like your fan is so strong it would slam the window/door sut! :D
Kathy

My website

♥♥Tan♥♥

Gutted........with a title like that I expected something a bit more than fans.

Although, there is something that makes me go weak at the knees looking at that set up :D

Lush!

Sorry to disappoint you Tan  ;D

Make up air - well, I have been giving that a lot of thought.  There is a gap around the top of the window which is opposite my desk but even with just one fan running, its pulling too much air from the roof space and not only causing a temp drop but was actually stopping the fan from performing properly and warm air was coming back at me from the torch, so I've had to block that up. 

But I realised that when only one fan is going I can feel substantial air inflow from the other so I think that is sufficient.  I don't expect to run both at the same time very often, but if I do then I will either open the window - its an old metal window with a good latch - or think about installing one of those spinny things in the glass.

Blue Box Studio

Wow, the studio's looking gorgeous, wish mine looked that lovely.  Perhaps I need to get the paint pot out again.

I bought the same fan as Tan and you but mine's noisy.  With the HH going too it's deafening without an ipod on jumbo earphones.  It's actually noisier than the first one which went into literal melt-down but was promptly sorted by Pro-Grow as I'd only had it 3 weeks.  Mine's not too noisey from the outside but not silient.  Am I doing something wrong?  It sits in front of me and vents up to the hole in the wall above me.  As for make up air, either the badly fitting door or a window open a tad.  Agree it sucks out all the heat though, fortunately the oil filled rad is on wheels so can cuddle up close to me for warmth.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

♥♥Tan♥♥

My fan is really quiet..........but then I suppose what one of us finds loud the other would not blink at?  What is yours sitting on?

Julie, I just open my kitchen window for makeup air and its enough

Blue Box Studio

Was on the worktop then thought it ought to be a bit higher so on 3 bricks.  It's about as noisy as the HH, but bricks or worktop just as noisy.  Perhaps it's because it's only a worktop width away from me and yours is across the room or something?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr