Main Menu

New 104 TAG Glass

Started by Trudi, August 25, 2008, 11:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Trudi

Ahh but it makes the end result all the more worth while when you get there!

grandmabead

Quote from: shine-on2 on August 28, 2008, 10:46:37 PM
Ahh but it makes the end result all the more worth while when you get there!

Well i am about to find out. My TAG Juno arrived this morning, it looks real purdy, pale pinky lilac rods just waiting for me to turn into a mucky brown mush LOL. I got a lot for my money so i can afford to play around for a while - if i can't get it to work for me i may sell it as i can't bear to look at a stack of glass that i can't do anything with!
:-\

Chameleon

Has anyone tried the Taxco ? I have that and tibet and cant get either to do anything for me and wondered if anyone had any hints, i have read the ones on the tag site which are useful, but its still not playing for me and i cant work out what im doing wrong  :'(

garishglobes

I love Taxco, its really pretty! It should reduce really easily for you, looks fab over ivory/silvered ivory. Don't have pics I'm afraid but it is nice glass. I think some of the Tag glasses seem to like being worked a bit cooler than I like to work (must control that heat fiend!), would that help? I'm finding Tibet difficult too, but did get better colours when I tried it on a bit lower heat.

Chameleon

I work pretty cold anyway (im slow) but i will try it a bit cooler and see. I have tried it on its own, over clear, over ivory am now running low (only bought one rod) with nothing much to show  :'( I have reduced it as described on the TAG site in a full on propane (no oxy) flame, I have tried it sat in the flame for a while, I have tried it in an out of the flame even left it in so long on one go that it completely sooted up  :-\ will have another go cooler tho, thanks

grandmabead

I don't know if this will be of any help with using Taxco, i found it when searching for info about Juno but it does give lots of useful hints on working with the TAG glass.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102321&highlight=juno

Chameleon


grandmabead

Let us know how you get on........hopefully it will work for you and then you can tell me how to get the darn glass to react LOL
:D

Chameleon

DONE IT  ;D ;D I have silvery Taxco. It actually reminds me very much of the colour you get when you gold fume pale green 031 ...but obviously with a silvery shine rather than a goldy one ! The problem was that i was treating it like other silver reduction glasses and letting the bead get quite cold before putting it in the reduction flame, however it needs to go in the reduction flame while it is still quite hot  ::) but i do have some pretties now  ;D ..and no more taxco lol !! think i might be ordering some more tho  ;D thanks to all for helpful hints and encouragement

grandmabead

That's brilliant news chameleon............i will try out that on my Juno & see if it works. Got any piccies?

Chameleon

no pics yet, but will try take some later on  ;D they are totally unexciting beads ... taxco eeked out over clear to give 3 plain but shiney silvery round beads  ;D think they might be quite yummy with a bit of hill tribe silver ......  ::)

garishglobes

Well, that explains how I got colour! I'm useless at leaving things to go cool enough, no patience! Wonder if that approach works with the strikers (tibet, dalai) as well?

Chameleon

hmm that might be worth a go, I have some tibet i'll try it  ;D

garishglobes

Eek! I got colour from Dalai! Bizarrely I did exactly what I did the other night, but this time, it worked! Must be the weather. Or Sods Law. Anyway, these are Dalai and Tibet together, heated in neutral till clear (I swear I've tried this before) shaped and reheated gently to get the browns and then the colours. The colours seemed to go a bit when it was encased, but this is certainly the best so far, so will persevere!
Excuse the pix, its raining so hard I can't take 'em outdoors, and I haven't cleaned 'em yet either!


And this is reduced Taxco and red roof tile with silver:

Taxco seems to work really well as shards.

flowerjasper

taxco on black, difficult to photograph!

have got zeus as well which is ment to be reduced then struck!!
anyone tried it?
sandy