Main Menu

New 104 TAG Glass

Started by Trudi, August 25, 2008, 11:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Trudi

Morning all - I bought some of the new TAG glass and I've had a little play:

So far only with Dalai Lama - and both on a base of Heffalump - and the fat end is encased. The one with the lable on was struck, and the other one reduced:



I'll post more as and when, but I'd love to see what anyone else has!

Tx  ;D

sublimekate

That looks gorgeous, can't wait to see more.....yum yum yum

garishglobes

#2
I have to say, I'm having love/hate relationships with this glass. I adore Geneva, and deep purple is lovely too. Montreux is quite subtle and I quite like that, but I find Dalai and Tibet a bit disappointing, and Juno just plain perplexing!
This is what I got over the weekend:



I gave up trying to reduce or strike Juno because it just didn't seem to want to know and decided to mess around with it. Put it over Hades and just heated it hard (in frustration), cooled, heated again, cooled..reduced, heated, cooled, heated yet again and realised it was 'separating out'. Cooled, reduced, and lo! Lots of shiny colour! Same with a piece of Kugler silver brown (or close relation) - but then that middle bead wouldn't play at all. It is odd. Heating seems to make many base glasses "swallow" the Juno in, creating the reactions. Over ivory, it leaves a strange, ghostly inky trail if it is heated hard. It really seems to matter what glass you put it with, and I wonder if it is almost a "catalyst" for reaction, if that makes any sense.

I find Tibet and Dalai frustrating because I can't seem to get the colour from them, they stay resolutely pale - but if heated too hard, they easily go grey. More practise!!

sparrow

Oh, thanks for sharing! I haven't got any of these - bet Kaz has them all ;)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Kaz

No, you're wrong Sabine - I haven't got any of them......yet! Just debating whether I can justify it/really want them - given I have all the precision colours and haven't tried all of them, have just got a full batch of triton and psyche from Martin and have a parcel of DH odd lots I haven't even opened yet!!!!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

garishglobes

Well, if I have any stubs left after all my unproductive playing (!! - but I only bought a rod or so each to try!) I'll bring 'em down to the meet in a couple of weeks time (circumstances permitting) and you can play!

Trudi

Ohh I really like those Juno beads - nice reaction!!

I think I was expecting Dalai to be like psyche - but I'm glad it 's not! But I will have a play over different colours to see what can be had from it!


garishglobes

Mmm. I am a little concerned this morning to find most of the encased beads I did with this glass and the Lauscha have cracked. They survived the kiln and are now developing crazy paving. I'm not sure what to make of this because the Lauscha is fab with almost everything else and definitely my favourite clear by a long way! Darn.

dinah46

I've recently had that happen with my old Lausch clear over raku frit and DH. 

I've been doing some test beads since I picked up my new Lauscha from Sal on Saturday but they haven't been in the kiln yet. The cracking happened a couple of days after annealing so when they're done I'll report back

garishglobes

Well, I'm not convinced that this is the Lauscha. I've been trying all sorts with this new stuff with lots of success, much more than the other clears. I've encased loads and not noticed cracks till I started with this TAG glass. Alarmingly, those small Juno/Hades barrels at the top of my pic are also developing cracks this morning, a few days after annealing as well. They aren't encased at all.

Hamilton Taylor

#10
I've been encasing the TAG with Vetro clear, and have no problems at all. Why not pull some stringer tests with the TAG and Laucha, TAG and another clear, Laucha nad another clear to determine if there is a coe difference?

Sean

edit: In fact, if you send me a foot of your Lauscha, I'll do a couple of tests myself - I'll pay for the postage
also, can you tell me what your annealing schedule is, please?

garishglobes

Sean, I'll happily send you a bit of the Lauscha, but in the meantime I do also have some Vetro clear so I'll try encasing with that as well to see if there's a difference.
Will pm you!

glassworks

vetro clear is the clear that the team at doublehelix test with, and i would be surprised if tag are any different as they all know each other! ;-)... vetro has a good reputation for being tolerant of silver glass, while lauscha can be a bit more tricky with certain forumulations.. another way to test compatibility (as it is not always simply a coe issue) is to make nice big fat round clear glass beads and encase them with a layer of the test glass...

the tag stuff is giving fabulous reactions and effects though, really lovely colours and tints...

garishglobes

Oh, I agree. I love the colours, and only appear to be having problems encasing with a couple of them. The reactions are very, very pretty.

grandmabead

Gulp........i ordered some Juno, it looked so lovely but i bet it won't do diddysquat for me when i get it. I love the pics you posted garishglobes, maybe there will be hope for me with a bit of practice.
Why do i always love the glass that is a pain in the ass?
:-\