More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Glass Beadmaking

Started by Yellow friend, December 07, 2008, 06:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellow friend

Has anyone read a Kervin book - I just had a look on Amazon and his relatively thin pamphlets (32 pages) seem to cost a pretty penny - are they worth £35, seeing as a lot of info can be had on the internet for free, is the info truly worth it's weight in gold.  Books on the subject are quite costly but 32 pages  :o  I have Passing the Flame, a couple of Cindy Jenkins and Karen ?'s  book, can anyone recommend any other books worth having.

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

ebj

Like a fair few on here I am a book junkie and have too many! However I hardly look at them apart from Passing the Flame and Bead of Glass - Art And Artists by Cindy J. I have just bought a copy of contemporary lampworking  - and am waiting for it to arrive.   Dont know if that helps lol x
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

Yellow friend

Does the Contemporary Lampworking book actually show you techniques because I have looked at some books which show you history etc and samples but not actually how to do it so to speak?

Shelia

Mary

His artist based books are more about the individual artist, with a few techniques special to them. And not usually £35, you'll get them for a lot less than that.
Try here, £11 each http://www.pandorasbookshop.com/acatalog/Beads___Beadwork.html

"Everything you wanted to know" is 295 pages long, and more of a reference book. Not many pictures, or a lot of decorating info, but great annealing tables, scientific stuff, fusing, furnace work, it covers a lot. Not a book you sit and read from cover to cover, but I refer to it a lot.

aoturoa

I dearly want a copy of Passing the Flame, but it's so expensive  :(

I wonder why, since it's obviously so popular, that it's not reprinted? There's clearly a market for it. Publishers are weird.

Yellow friend

Thanks Mary

On Amazon the book is actually £65 +, his pamphlet on Jim Smercich is £35 :o Will take a gander at Pandoras Bookshop right now.

Shelia

Mary

Helen, I think Corina self published PTF. It was recently republished, I think Frantz had it?

Sheila, £35 for the Smircich book? Ouch!

mariag

Yellow friend

Aoturoa (btw ru from NZ?)

I believe Corrina is working on an updated version of Passing the Flame, hence them not re-printing - not sure when it will be out but unfortunately expect it will be just as costly :(but well worth the investment when you can afford it).  Maybe if enough people put in a request for it they will do a larger print run and bring the price down.  I may just send her an email to find out if that is possible.

Shelia

aoturoa

Wow Sheila not many people ask me that. But no, I'm not from New Zealand, but I do plan on moving out there. The sooner the better.

But anyway... I was planning on getting PTF with whatever Christmas money I get from the parentals, but if Corina is going to rewrite it then I'll hang fire.

Thanks for letting me know that  :)

Yellow friend

Helen
NZ is very much on my mind as both of my girls are out there at the moment, 1 based in Wellington & 1 in Wanaka.  (Aoturoa according to Google is a lovely villa near Wanaka)  ;D
NZ is a fantastic place,they both love it so I feel a long journey coming on(when I can get enough clanky bits together).

Btw I have emailed Corina about her book and will let you know her reply. Probably worth waiting for.

Shelia

aoturoa

Aaaaaaaah. That'll explain it then. Aoturoa means 'light of day' in Maori, though you may have known that.

Thansk for keeping me (and everyone else) posted.

Yellow friend

Dear Helen

Got a reply from Corina - as follows-

I AM working on a sequel to Passing The Flame...but it will be at least another year. Passing the Flame costs $ 75, and has 220 high quality color pictures, in a very sturdy binding. This comes down to 35 cents per page.
The average downloadable tutorial these days costs an average of $ 1.50 PER PAGE (or more) - and you have to print it out yourself...and then the pages will fade, or get lost if not organized.....

my initial investment in creating PTF was $ 85 000 - payment for the layout designer and printing, my own labor not include. it took me 2 years to recover the investment....

The now so popular downloadable tutorial doesn't cost the creator a dime to make......

So, they think PTF is EXPENSIVE???????????????   If people keep thinking that way, printed books will go out of business - which is sad..... I think.

Hope that this didn't come across as snotty or anything,

She has a certain style. 

When you get to NZ there is a glass place near Nelson called Hoglund worth visiting- that's where I first saw a copy of Passing the Flame. What can I say - it changed my life  ;D

Shelia

aoturoa

Oh. Well I might get PTF in the new year then.

Or should I make the most of my eBay vouchure - a whole £2.50  ::)

When I get.. I like that  :D

Yellow friend

Hmmm - I don't think I could wait a year either - maybe Santa might be generous this year ;D

Don't suppose your local library could get it for you?

Shelia