Flame types

Started by wendy j, September 18, 2008, 09:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendy j

Hi there, can some one explain the types of flame for me,  Ive got an oxycon/propane tank.  My turquoize has a tendancy to go rusty red/brown sometimes and I dont know why.  Im assuming its something to do with the flame, too much or not enough gas? ???
Ive had about 5 hours torch time now, still finding it difficult to get the ends to  dimple,  I like cylinders at the moment,  want to get a lentil press but will hold off until I get my kiln.   I find it amusing how different colours of glass behave differently, some melts faster than others.
I`ll be taking a nice bag of beads to Dizzy Di to have annealed at the weekend,  hope they survive their roasting!!
Wendy in Essex

Mary

Too much propane, Wendy! Have you just moved off a Hothead? The dual fuel flame will be much smaller and quiet.

wendy j

Had another play tonight, played around with propane/oxycon settings,  I found I only just needed to open the gas valve.  Hubby said it was a good brazing flame, and the turquoize stayed bluey.
The ivory stayed a lot cleaner as well, not as streaky.   Just down to experiance and PPP,
Thanks
Wendy in Essex