Diary of a first time fuser

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, January 20, 2007, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

♥♥Tan♥♥

♥♥Tan♥♥

ppphhhhh ok someone needs to tell me how to post pictures using photobucket >:( I can only understand one thing at a time and thats fusing.

As you can see by the pic I am getting the hang of it now.......The five green tiles are window glass and enamel, a test really, I have spent the last couple of weeks helping a friend redecorate her kitchen a minty green and I thought I might have a go at a set of fused tiles and mount them on a piece of white painted wood.
  The other pieces are stained glass, I am heartily sick of window glass now and really wanted to have a go with some colour, these are the results and I have to say that I am pleased. I still have little pointy corners on a couple of them but I am still finding the cool spots on my kiln so its all in hand.

handmadeheaven.biz

i've fixed your photo. what you need to do in photobucket is click in the bottom of the three links named IMG code. It will say "copied". Then come into your message window here and just paste in the code. Easy peasy :)

looks like you're getting on well. if you put the items in your kiln and write down what was where, so in effect draw a map, then when they come out you can note down the amount of fuse you got. then you'll know for the future where your hot spots and cold spots are in the kiln :)

i love the green ones. are they going down in size 1cm at a time?

♥♥Tan♥♥

Thankyou Steph you are a star ;D

The green ones are going down 1cm at a time from 6cm, I am pleased with how they turned out, and I really must make a kiln map but I get so excited when everything is cooked I just want to drag it out and play with it......its me own darn fault ;)

Thanks for your feedback Steph much appreciated :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Right Jim..................where are you?

Paula

Tanok,thank you for doing this.Hopefully I should get my kiln in about 10 days.Then I will be playing alongside you.I love what your doing.
Paula

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hello Dream....I have the lurgey at the moment and feel like death warmed up....when I get better I shall get a fusing again. If you have any questions that you think are daft then drop me a pm......believe me I have asked so many daft questions peoples ears must be fallin off!!

handmadeheaven.biz

keep the daft/sensible/random questions coming. makes me feel useful :P

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hokay.....feeling better and back to messing around with my stained glass offcuts. There is a compatibility issue even though it is all the same manufacturer glass so all the pieces will go on cards or be jewellery for me ;D

Some really nice effects have happened here, as you can see im starting to mess around more with squares and triangles and Im liking what they do. My colour palette is limited but the top pair of triangle shaped cabs are turquoise over green and as you can see its given me a really nice aqua colour...so more to play with there.

I like the look of cabs but now I fancy getting more structure in my bits and bobs so I am playing with a tack fuse schedule, I want to heat the pieces just enough to round off the corners/edges and stick all the bits to each other. I will keep you posted with piccies as and when.

I have to add I did something really stupid, after venting the kiln and turning it off I left my oven gloves on top of the kiln, and went to work!!!! Hubster had the fright of his life when he found my gloves smoking merrily away on the point of combustion. I know, I know it was incredibly stupid and it really scared me, both how close we came to a fire and my stupidity, but thats why im putting it in here. I am a newbie and it was a stupid,stupid thing to do. Maybe if you read this it will stick in your head and you wont do it at all :-\

handmadeheaven.biz

lovely to see more experiments :) they're really coming along and it's good to see you trying something new.

glad you didnt burn the place down! at least it's not just me who's a bit of a liability!

remember kids...

heat rises! the TOP of your kiln gets very hot!

Les

They are looking really really good Tan....... Love the blue and green squares :D

BeadyBugs

Oo they're really purty Tan.  Lovely colours - I really like the blue and green check on middle right. :D

And we've all done daft things - I've got smoke, gas and carbon monoxide detectors surrounding my kiln/torch area for that very reason.  Brain like porridge most days. ;D ::)  Don't know if you've got a smoke detector over your kiln, but it might be a good idea. ;D  Glad you're ok though.

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

i'm armed with a smoke detector :) hopefully i wont need it...

♥♥Tan♥♥

Thanks guys, feel a bit of a plum really but thats what this diary is all about...the smoke detector idea is a goodie Helen, I think I'll get one this week.

Well this was easier than expected, just did a quick sample couple of pieces to see what would happen, and pretty much what I wanted it to do,,,it did.

And a quick pic of my superior cutting station, it may look like the floor but it isnt, its really a superb elevated surface designed to look exactly like a floor :P

handmadeheaven.biz

bloody hell tan! how big is that cutting mat?! a2 size? mine's only 45cm :( i feel inadequate now....

i need to raise my cutting area. i was getting backache over the weekend - not that i made much. my mojo's done a burton  :'(