Diary of a first time fuser

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, January 20, 2007, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

♥♥Tan♥♥

Oh right I can post pictures then!!

It was an ok fuse but not a good finished product, the edges were rounded but the corners stayed pointy and almost sharp, there was a misty film on some of them which i think was devitrification and they had wrinkles like a skin on custard.

The boat is using enamels and seems ok. The lizard is a copper inclusion and has some bubbles around him but I'm not to bothered about that i just want a decent fuse!! I did a special one for my mate Jim because he has been so patient and so much help and I promised I would do something for him in my first fuse. His name was carved out of thinfire but it travelled towards itself in the firing so needs to be placed further apart.

It was two layers of 3mm float glass half were stuck with white glue and half with honey and they all turned out the same in that respect. I dont think the kiln got hot enough or the soak time was long enough. I am too much of a newbie to do anything but guess!

The bottoms were fine and no big bubbles came up to spoil the surface but I am at a loss now, I am going to try Stephs fusing schedule next time but can anyone tell me what went wrong?

Thanks guys

♥♥Tan♥♥

oopps we passed in cyberspace there Les. I forgot to add the pieces nearly fused but you can still see the lines where some pieces meet

handmadeheaven.biz

i need bigger pictures to see what's gone right/wrong :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have emailed them to you Steph

xtweeksx

aweee Tan, I melted all my first two batches of beads cos I was using the US firing schedules. The bottom of my kiln looked real pretty though  ;D ;D ;D I was lucky I didnt ruin it to be honest.many others have.

Anyway, onto your fusing.. for a first go I think they look great. Its scary isnt it when you havent done it before. I cant wait to have a go now ;D ;D I must remember to us uk firing schedules hehe

Well done Tan

Jenx

♥♥Tan♥♥

I just thought if I chronicle all my successes and failures here and get the input from those in the know then its like a trouble shooting guide for all those starting out themselves and alll those problems that you don't even see coming!!

Thanks for the support!!

BlueMoon

Tan.....Well, it was an improvement over the "cold" firing! Looks like it either needed a longer soak or a little more heat. I tend to program my kiln for a longer soak at full fuse, and then look in at some point during the full fuse to see how things are progressing. If it looks like it needs to go the full length of time I have it scheduled for I let it go that long, If it looks like its done, I skip the hold that I have programmed and go into the next programmed segment. Most kilns have a way to "Skip segment" that will get you out of the segemnt you are in and into the next programmed segment. I think you will find that in your instruction book for your kiln. I find that a lot of fusing is more visual...what is actually happening with the glass in the kiln, rather than just relying on a set firing program. Ther are so many different factors that can affect a full fuse.
I'll post more later about the devit problem......

Kilns, Torches, Tools & Supplies for Lampworking and Fusing

♥♥Tan♥♥

Thanks Jim, did you see your personalised fuse!!

BlueMoon

♥♥Tan♥♥

♥♥Tan♥♥

well still on 2x3mm float glass, practice runs with aluminium,copper, thinfire and enamel inclusions.
     Aluminium turns black and gives off hundreds of tiny bubbles but it isn't uniform, I tried to control this by just using simple shapes like a square hoping I would get lots of bubbles in a sqare shape, not happening.
     Enamels are fine so far but they are my jewellery enamels for when I enamel on copper so not too sure about compatability
   Had no problems with copper, I have been using the stuff that you emboss and its working well although my impatience made me take a piece with a copper inclusion out of the kiln too soon and cracks appeared coming away from the inclusion
  Thinfire is great but defies precise placement because as the glass shifts in the fusing process it pulls the thinfire with it, so far it has just been luck for me.

I used a quick fire program that my mate Jim gave to me and I added some temp on to allow for the float glass, below is the original program for Bullseye, this is a good program for small jewellery pieces. I haven't tried anything larger yet so Stephs empire is safe ;D

Try going AFAP to 500...hold 12 minutes, then AFAP to 1490, hold 10 minutes or until desired affect. Then turn off.  Flash vent to 1000 then let the kiln come down to room temp. That should happen slowly enough as to pass the glass thru the annealing range to do what we call "shotgun annealing"

I am going to try some thinner glass and more layers to see what effects I can get, over the weekend hopefully

BlueMoon

They look great Tan. Nice rounded edges and all. One of the things that may be affecting the use of inclusions such as enamels and leaf with float glass is that you may be firing them against the "tin" side of the glass. Without the proper UV light source though, you will not be able to ascertain which side that is. I know, I know...throwing you yet another curve ball !! But it looks like your firing schedule is working well for you for small pendants.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Thanks to you Jim and your endless patience, but bloomin heck, the tin side of the glass? Oh dear oh dear this will never do, I've only just mastered round corners :P
Now i have to work out how to resize the pics so you can actually see what you are looking at ;D

handmadeheaven.biz

keeping busy i see. :) looks like you're having a good go and it's turning out well. that's what fusing's all about - PPP & experimenting

♥♥Tan♥♥

Me and window glass............we're like that now.....*crossing fingers* ;D