bead presses?

Started by princess pink, August 09, 2008, 05:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princess pink

Totally new to lampworking and think i'd like to get a bead press but not sure what to go for as a beginner. I want something fairly versatile while im getting to grips with playing and practising etc.

So can anyone reccommend what one to go for first? where to get on from? or if someone has one they would like to sell me second hand or whatever thatd be even better!

Thanks you!  :-*

Les

My very first press was a lentil, 18mm and really easy to get to grips with :)

xx

♥♥Tan♥♥

Yep, I would say lentil too, its easy to use, everyone likes the shape and its very forgiving if you over or under press

Pam

Here, here and the lentil is still my fav press.

Trudi

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/

Have a look on here - look under zoozii press - why not try the lentil trio. Nice one to have - I like the trio presses as you can have a choice of sizes, and smaller ones are easier to start with!! PLus if you  start with a small one and add too much glass you can just go to the next size up!

LittleHen

I am a newbie and I found the Kalera easy to use, also available from Tuffnells.  Dead easy to use and can also be used as a "crunch" style press if you don't make the glass go right into the corners to produce Sarah Hornik style focals.
I don't actually like the small presses and find the focal L and XL ones easier to use but then again maybe that's just me!
Jessie  ;)

afina

My first one was a crunch - and I would do it like that again. Easy to use and no problem if I have too much or too little glass - it just gets shorter or longer. I would buy one with a lead for the mandrel, though.
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

Shirley

I've always found with lentils that if I am cooling in vermiculite and annealing later they often break. The glass at the ends is quite thin and they seem to need to be put in a kiln straightaway. Guess what I'm saying is if you haven't got a kiln take care.

I've probably got most use out of my nugget trio. I find it fairly easy to use and I've not had beads crack because the glass is fairly thick around the holes.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

flowerjasper

i love my lentil press, have trouble with my pillow,
so for a first press lentil gets my vote  ;)

beadysam

Lentils and crunches - easy!  Eggs and hearts - only if you have lots of patience!

I have to say I have a lot of presses sat gathering dust, the only ones I use are crunches these days.  I can't persuade myself to part with them though, just in case I fancy a play sometime in the future.... :-\

Les

same here.... although I only have 5 .... there are 2 that I hardly use, but can't seem to part with them.... my giant lentil is the one that is gathering most dust... I'd need to anneal as I go to be able to use the damn thing... don't even have a posh glass kiln... LOL

Maybe one day.............. :D

kernheimer

My first press ( and never a problem, well allmost never, unless i do something silly) is from Maria Louisa, the lentil trio. Best buy ever.

LittleHen

Most of my little presses are still to be used as I really like making big beads, I think it's much easier to go big than make smaller ones.
I'm not about to part with any of them though as I never know what is going to take my fancy in the future.
I do think it could be a bit of a habit though to start collecting them.
Jessie  ;)

beadmonkey

Quote from: LittleHen on August 09, 2008, 06:21:38 PM
I am a newbie and I found the Kalera easy to use, also available from Tuffnells.  Dead easy to use and can also be used as a "crunch" style press if you don't make the glass go right into the corners to produce Sarah Hornik style focals.
I don't actually like the small presses and find the focal L and XL ones easier to use but then again maybe that's just me!
Jessie  ;)

Do you get the same problems with the Kalera or other crunch type presses as you do with Large Lentils? i.e. they crack unless you anneal as you go?! I don't have a kiln so have to use vermiculite in a slow cooker. Having spent out on a Large Lentil press which gives me lots of split beads, I don't want to spend more money on a press which just gives me more split beads of a different shape ;D

Roy

Shirley

I use a crunch regularly on beads up to about 40mm. They are fine in vermiculite. I don't even have  a slow cooker. I think it's because the ends around mandrel are actually quite thick. I've got a kalera trio and have had no problems with that either, but the beads aren't very big.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver