bead presses?

Started by princess pink, August 09, 2008, 05:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleHen

Quote from: beadmonkey on August 21, 2008, 12:55:58 AM
Quote from: LittleHen on August 09, 2008, 06:21:38 PM
I am a newbie and I found the Kalera easy to use, also available from Tuffnells.  Dead easy to use and can also be used as a "crunch" style press if you don't make the glass go right into the corners to produce Sarah Hornik style focals.
I don't actually like the small presses and find the focal L and XL ones easier to use but then again maybe that's just me!
Jessie  ;)

Do you get the same problems with the Kalera or other crunch type presses as you do with Large Lentils? i.e. they crack unless you anneal as you go?! I don't have a kiln so have to use vermiculite in a slow cooker. Having spent out on a Large Lentil press which gives me lots of split beads, I don't want to spend more money on a press which just gives me more split beads of a different shape ;D

Roy

I've only had one large kalera crack in vermiculite and that was covered in silver wire all melted in I think I looked at it for too long before I put it in.
Jessie  ;)

Les

I'm just really careful to cool my kaleras slowly in the flame before they go into the vermicuite.... I still lose a few though... not loads though :)

xx