learning to use press and mashers

Started by Katerina, August 02, 2008, 10:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katerina

I bought lentil press and leaf mashers from Tuffnell and last  2 days been playing with glass...
SO here is my things

I try to flame polish it but you still can see chill marks...If I do it a bit longer leaf loosing its shape.

here is my lentil stamp - can't make ends round....its always in or out.....

Any advice?

Isabelle

Love the leaves, Kat! You will get the hang of the lentils soon - I always roll it in the bottom of the press so it's an oval shape, then heat it again and then press it, but they look about right to me already. They are supposed to have the little dimple in the ends.

Katerina

Isabelle ! Thank you. Good advice. I will try it

turnedlight

I love the green leaves, it looks like the mashers were a good purchase - I nearly bought some from Martin at a bead fair, but I couldn't decide! :)
kathryn

Katerina

Quote from: turnedlight on August 02, 2008, 11:03:22 AM
I love the green leaves, it looks like the mashers were a good purchase - I nearly bought some from Martin at a bead fair, but I couldn't decide! :)

I try to make leaves with other tutorial. Some people sad that you can do without mashers, but for me it is quickest and easiest way. But I am only 3 months old lampwoker lol

*rowanberry*

They are gorgeous! I love those leaves!
Claire

Katerina

Quote from: *rowanberry* on August 02, 2008, 11:41:19 AM
They are gorgeous! I love those leaves!
Thank you but I read that chill mark are not professional...

Trudi

Ohh those leaves are cool!!!

I've never seen those mashers used before - are they off-mandrel??

Not sure if this would work with thse mashers, but with my bead press I had the same problem, and I came across this top tip on here (somewhere) once I had the press just right - heat up again an-re-press 2 or 3 times - I think that it must keep the press hot and stops the chill marks!

♥♥Tan♥♥

I love chill marks and use them on my lollipops they are popular beadies so it aint all bad ;)

Your leaves are really lovely and your lentils are coming along

Before you make your bead lay your mandrel across the press and using a felt tip pen make a mark just inside each end of the cavity that will give you the initial length that you need. when you lay your wraps of glass on top of this initial length count them so when you have the right mix that will be the formula for future presses.

The dotted line is your mandrel the () are the left and right side of your lentil press cavity and the numbers are the wraps needed to fill it.

1 2 3
-------(1-2-3-4-5)----------------------------<----mandrel
              1 2 3

Does that make sense or have i confused you more?

Katerina

Thank you

I try both way off mandrel and on mandrel. This green one is off other one on

Katerina

wow great!!!! thanks :)
UPDATE
I love you lollipops

Quote from: tanok on August 02, 2008, 06:35:34 PM
I love chill marks and use them on my lollipops they are popular beadies so it aint all bad ;)

Before you make your bead lay your mandrel across the press and using a felt tip pen make a mark just inside each end of the cavity that will give you the initial length that you need. when you lay your wraps of glass on top of this initial length count them so when you have the right mix that will be the formula for future presses.

The dotted line is your mandrel the () are the left and right side of your lentil press cavity and the numbers are the wraps needed to fill it.

1 2 3
              1 2 3

Trudi

1 2 3
              1 2 3

What a simple, but brilliant idae!!! Top one Tan!

grandmabead

1 2 3
              1 2 3

I will have this tatooed on my forehead tanok, thanks for these instructions they will really help this old newbie.  ;)

Trudi

You may have to sit in front of a mirror - so write it on back to front!

Shirley

Quote from: shine-on2 on August 03, 2008, 10:25:06 AM
You may have to sit in front of a mirror - so write it on back to front!

This has got to win the prize for most bizarre post so far today! ;D :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver