Beady books!

Started by Bee, January 16, 2007, 10:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

There might already be one and I'm being blind (as usual!) but I think it would be a good idea if there was a recommended books category. It's not often that you get a chance to look through a bead / glass book beofre ordering a copy online because they're so scarce in bookshops.

Things to include could be:

Name of book:
Author:
ISBN:
Where to get it:
Main subjects covered:
Rating:
General overview:

♥♥Tan♥♥

Fantastic idea,

Passing the Flame
Corina Tettinger
0-9726602-0-8
Amazon or Frantz
Glass and properties and shaping beads, a little bit on decoration, torches, equipment etc. Very expensive but well worth the money if you are a first timer because it explains everything in plain english without assuming that you know basics.

Beads of Glass
Cindy Jenkins
?
Amazon or Pandoras bookshop
Features several artists and their work in the first quarter of the book and the rest is given over to step by step instructions on decorating and shaping. A follow on to her first book Making Glass Beads. Both must haves.

Mary

The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking by Kimberley Adams
Good for beginners or more advanced, nice tutorials including a shell, and tips on using other stuff like enamel.

Glass Beadmaking by Jim Kerwin. Not cheap, and not an ideas book, but loads of in depth info, from techniques to annealing schedules and the chemical composition and combustion temps of gases.

Don't bother with Elizabeth Ryland Mears Flameworking unless you are into boro and sculptural.

http://www.pandorasbookshop.com/ in Ireland have Passing the Flame and other hard-to-get titles.

Maria Louisa

I've recently bought these 3 books and didn't liked all three of them:

Making Handmade Lampwork Beads & Glass Jewelry: The Complete Guide to Making Handmade Lampwork Beads and Glass Jewellery (Taschenbuch)
von Danny Ronat (Autor), Hava Ronat (Autor)

Glass Beads: Tips, Tools, and Techniques for Learning the Craft (Heritage Crafts Today) (Spiralbuch)
von Louise Mehaffey (Autor), Kevin Brett (Fotograf)

A Touch of Glass: Designs for Creating Glass Bead Jewelry (Taschenbuch)
von Nancy Alden (Autor)

Not so much too (one nice bead and one nice bracelet idea however):

Creating Lampwork Beads for Jewelry (Taschenbuch)
von Karen J. Leonardo (Autor)

Not for me (but maybe for the jewelrymakers among us):

The Art & Soul of Glass Beads: 17 Bead Artists Share Their Inspiration & Methods von Susan Ray und Richard Pearce von Dbi Books % Krause Pubn (Taschenbuch - 5. Juni 2003)

I do love however very much:

Masters: Glass Beads: Major Works by Leading Artists (The Masters) (Taschenbuch)
von Lark Books (Herausgeber)

Glass Bead Workshop: Building Skills, Exploring Techniques, Finding Inspiration (Gebundene Ausgabe)
von Jeri L. Warhaftig (Autor)

Beads of Glass: The Art and the Artists (Gebundene Ausgabe)
von Cindy Jenkins (Autor)

All books available at www.amazon.de

Another favorite of me is:

100 Lampworkers (Japanese & English Mixed).
This informative book illustrates Japanese lampworking, the glass evidencing spirituality, truth to the material, and skilled virtuosity.
Limited Edition - Never to be printed again.
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress

Kaz

Quote from: Maria Louisa on October 29, 2008, 01:23:24 PM
Making Handmade Lampwork Beads & Glass Jewelry: The Complete Guide to Making Handmade Lampwork Beads and Glass Jewellery (Taschenbuch)
von Danny Ronat (Autor), Hava Ronat (Autor) I actually do quite like this one - though the beads are not terribly ambitious

Glass Beads: Tips, Tools, and Techniques for Learning the Craft (Heritage Crafts Today) (Spiralbuch)
von Louise Mehaffey (Autor), Kevin Brett (Fotograf) - I think this one is OK for a beginner who can't afford Passing the Flame but nothing very exciting in it - reasonable basic manual in my view

If you like 1000 glass beads, you'll love this too
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=2-9781579909246-1
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

paterperlo

Glas...Perlen...eigenArt
Aleksandra+Matthias Baum (my wife and me )  ;) ;)
ISBN: 978-3-00-022186-6
Etsy
Binding:Hardcover, 127 pages

Presentaion of more than 90 gorgeous artists from Austria, Suisse, France and Germany. No tutorials, only pics. Language: German.
Limited Edition - Never to be printed again. Diana East bought one copy from me.

Maria Louisa

I've got that one and love it. Lots of gorgeous beadies to look at.
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress

Ness

Quote from: Maria Louisa on October 29, 2008, 01:23:24 PM

I do love however very much:

Masters: Glass Beads: Major Works by Leading Artists (The Masters) (Taschenbuch)
von Lark Books (Herausgeber)

I've got this book, I can't stop drooling over the wonders!!  The Beadweaving Masters book ( in the same series) is lovely too.