Main Menu

Boro

Started by ebj, June 02, 2008, 11:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebj

hey - A little over a week ago my Northstar boro pack arrived - havent a clue what to do with it and am just searching through all forums and trying to find enough info to get started.   

One thing I wnated to ask is how many different types of Boro glass are there. For those  Who use it what kind do you use? Am I going to find myself needing to try out every different starter pack  :o Is there a good book - I have seen Contemporary Lampworking recommended but its another pricey one!     Rather than learning anything I feel like I am becoming aware of how little I know lol!

Help :)   
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

Hamilton Taylor

Contemporary Lampworking is indeed superb - well worth the money, in my opinion.

There are lots of different makes: Northstar, Glass Alchemy, Momkas, TAG, various generic colours from Asia. Have a look around some of the US sites on lampwork, as opposed to beadmaking, for tips on working it. Check out www.northstarglass.com, under 'Working Our Colour', or the Glass Alchemy info section at www.glassalchemyarts.com for a torrent of info to boggle the mind.

Also, the Boro Newbies thread at WC is worth a comprehensive read. www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=440681

'How little I know' is right. I started playing with boro about three months ago, and I'm still standing looking up at a Big, Steep, Learning Curve...

...but, it will be worth it. One day. I hope... ::)

Sean

Ian Pearson

By joining the BSSG ( British Society of Scientific Glassblowers) see http://www.bssg.co.uk/index.htm
one can borrow any titles in the library which has several titles for borosilicate working, some out of print and specifically for beginners. £22 to join see http://www.bssg.co.uk/newmember.htm
well worth it in my opinion.

Ian

ebj

Thanks for replying, I'm dying to just turn on my torch and have a go - but the coloured glass is soooo expensive. I am reading my user manual that came with my northstar pack. and will continue reading everything I can tonight  - and sod it I'll have a go tomorrow.

If anyone has any tips I'd be very grateful.  I have read as much as I can bear without getting to it!
Emma

ebj

Hi. So I had a go - and melted a mandrel and made a horrible few beads - but I suppose its a start. I didnt go blind, didnt find it too bright at all really (wonder if that means I was doing something wrong)   

I spent a long time looking for an annealing schedule and in the end just had a play and bunged them in the kiln before I made some beads from my usual glass. What I would really like is some help programming my kiln to a schedule that will allow me to play with some borro and then go on to make some beads  with soft glass. I dont get enough torch time at the moment to spend all of it in any one session playing with borro. Its the kiln programming I am struggling with - if anyone will help me I will gladly send you a couple of borro Northstar shorts.     I have a SC2.   

Emma x
Emma

Caroline

Hi Emma

i've been playing with northstar, momka and GA boro, it is expensive but i've bought a load of shorts and just had a play, i got my annealling schedule off Helen P, i'll see if i can find it for you. The boro section on LE is fantastic, well worth a read, other than that i've just been teaching myself by playing with it.

ebj

Thanks Caroline - I have been reading everything I can about it and in the end got dizzy lol! So I just thought Id have a go. I'm happy to play - and have found annealing schedules (though I'd love to see what you use) but I really want to program my kiln so after striking I can play with soft glass. I have temps written down - they are not here with me right now - its in my studio  ::) and I tried to program my kiln but I was never that good at it and need a dummies guide for what to actually put into my SC2.

I'll pick up my notes next time I'm in my studio and bring them home. That would help I guess :) Caroline - where did you get all your boro from? And thanks for the reply!

Emma x       
Emma

julieHB

Hi Emma,

If you just want to see how to program your annealing schedule on the sc2 check out the paragon site for their video tuts:

http://www.cooltools.us/Video-Clips-from-Cool-Tools-s/126.htm

Lots of luck!!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

ebj

Thanks Julie - I can program my kiln - its just that all the target temps and hold time and ramping ups and downs that I had confused me -  I'm trying to figure out how to put essentially two annealing schedules in one.

Great little tut - And its given me an idea lol!    :)
Emma

Caroline

Quote from: ebj on June 14, 2008, 11:58:01 AM
Caroline - where did you get all your boro from? And thanks for the reply!

Emma x       

from Flame tree Glass and Moretti and More