Glasses for Boro - would these do?

Started by ebj, May 13, 2008, 03:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebj

Hi - after saying for a while i Want to try Boro - I have decided, "hey - I'll have a go" I have been doing some reading and from what I can gather it can be super duper bright when working with boro a the torch. I have read a few people who have had a go saying they wont try it again untill they have the proper glasses. I saw in a thread on here that for glasses shade 5 welders goggles over diddys will work just as well as the pricey boro glass. But i be able to see a thing lol??

There are some  clip on things on here for over diddys - does anyone know if they are good? http://www.jodelglass.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page84.html
Is it best just to go for the proper (& expensive) glasses for Boro right away ?   

I'd be grateful for any advice :)

Thanks 
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

glassworks

boro is addictive..... and it is a LOT brighter and different spectrum from glowing 104 - these clip ons seem to be fine, but brace yourself for a proper pair of boroscopes in your future!!..  ;D ;D

Ian Pearson

Specs look good Emma and Phillips advertise a lot in scientific glass Journals so have a fine reputation. Try Wale Apparatus and ACE also. Also Jeremy Bolton at Jepson Bolton, he was at "Flame-Off". Try for side Shields as well. Ideally you want to try before you buy. I have prescription diddys but feel over the years they have got lighter. Don't flinch at £150 per pair after all its your eyes.

Boro is the best glass to work with and with it anything is possible. Nothing is impossible. You can make anything. I challenge anyone to ask me to make something that I cant make. If you want to learn more I suggest signing up for Steve Ramsey's course at Plowdens on 28-29th June or 1st 2nd Nov. Like me Steve started as a scientific glassblower and I have known him for 30 years maybe and no, I am not on commission!

Good luck

Ian

ebj

Hi - Thank you both for replying and for the info - I'll get the clip ons to allow me to have a play an then should I ever want to be more serious accept the fact I need proper glasses tp go with whatever else I'd need lol!    I must have a look at that course Ian :)

Emma x
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com