Should I go dual fuel?

Started by Shirley, May 25, 2008, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I can't decide. Been thinking about it for a while but still not sure at all. I'm pretty sure I know all the pro's and con's, and given that my main issue is that I get so little time to torch I know that something hotter and quicker would be worth having. At the same time, because I have little time I just wonder whether it would be worth it or not.

Funny thing is, when I start anything new, and I do have a lot of interests, I usually buy top of the range kit. With this I didn't, even though I was pretty sure I wanted to do it.

I love using my hothead, well most of the time ;D , and I'm always the first to defend it when someone suggests it's an inferior torch. But I don't know.........

Then again, £500 not spent on torch and oxy etc. would buy a lot of glass :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Billie

I upgraded to a bigger torch because of my limited time when I first started.  Maybe an hour to 90 minutes 2 or 3 times a week, and it was annoying, especially when working with transparent blues and the like, how long it took me to make just a few beads.  I felt I was just unwindng and getting into it when I had to stop.  Now I have a bigger torch I make bigger beads so still not making huge quantities  :D :D :D  although I wouldn't have attempted large beads on my HH.  On the other hand, Sarah Hornik is very happy on her HH so I guess it's personal choice and gut feel :)

garishglobes

I loved my HH! I also love my bigger torch, but one reason I didn't think of when I made the move over was to make beads quicker. I guess I can now make bigger beads quicker, but it wasn't an issue at the time, even with a limited time at the torch.
The main reason I moved was to get better colours from the striking silver glasses, better flame control and, like Billie, to get cleaner blues, greens and pinks. I'd agree, it is probably down to personal choice -and it is a big leap, cost-wise!

Amber

I'm still on my Hothead and I do love it! Having just bought the kiln, going dual fuel wouldn't be an option for a while yet anyway, but even if I could...mmmm, don't know. The Hothead (mostly) does what I want it to do, although it would be nice to make big beads quicker and I could do with a thinner, more concentrated flame sometimes.

But for the most part I'm happy to stick with the old Hothead and whenever I feel like whinging about it's limitations, I just look at Sarah Hornik's beads!

I'll be interested to see what other people think!

Kaz

On the other hand, it would take you a hell of a long time to melt £500 worth of glass on a hothead! ;D
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Soo

I upgraded only two weeks ago and I wish I'd started off with dual fuel. Speed is a big advantage, I can experiment so much more now as I can make so many more beads. I love it and won't be going back to my HH (much as I loved it at the time but when my oxycon broke down and I went back to it for a couple of days before the replacement arrived, I felt like I was torching in the stone age, it was so slow).

Shirley

I don't know....can't decide..........spent 2 hours yesterday with nothing to show for it. I think I know that I should go for it, because there are definitely things I can't do consistently with the hothead. Now I've got to get my head around the idea that this isn't something I'm likely to pack in because I get fed up with it when I feel I'm not progressing any more.

Soo

In the unlikely event that you do decide to pack it in (hope you don't), it seems pretty easy to get rid of equipment in the second hand section here. Every time I've seen people put things in there, the items go in record time.

Shirley

Yeah, Soo, you're right, they do shift pretty quickly

Take no notice of me - am having major crisis of confidence at the moment.

julieHB

Shirley, I hope it is not your confidence in the beads you are making that is lacking at the mo - they are beautiful!!  I have enjoyed looking at them many, many times!!   :)

Not many knows, I have felt a bit embarrassed by it, but I upgraded from the HH a few weeks ago, only after beadmaking for about a month and a half.  I had not planned to, but after a couple of occasions of one of my girls waking up crying and I didn't hear her and go to offer comfort I had a very simple choice: stick with the HH and only use it when kids are away to school, or upgrade to a quieter torch.... I am on my own with kids during long periods when my husband works offshore, and it seemed such a waste of time to not be able to go out to my workshop in the evenings, so I opted to upgrade.  As mentioned above I reasoned that I would be able to sell the equipment without loosing too much money if deciding to stop.

I ended up with a Bobcat, which is lovely.  It is very hot compared to the HH, and we are not totally friends yet, but getting there  :) To be able to listen to the radio whilst torching is a big plus as well  ;D  ;D

You have mentioned before that you've had your eyes set on a Lynx - any particular reason for that??

Good luck with whatever you choose!!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Shirley

You're a crafty one, Julie! ;D

Thanks for the kind words, think I probably needed them.

I'm interested in looking at a Lynx mainly because I remember Dora Schubert saying that was what she uses and it's a really adjustable torch, plus it's hot enough for boro' and I'd like to be able to do that. I wanted to try one at the Flame Off but there wasn't one, so I was a bit disappointed, and when I managed to try the Bobcat there was someone making it really obviously that they wanted to have a go that I didn't get a chance to try it properly. Now I'm in a bit of a quandary.

julieHB

It's a pity you're so far away - you'd be welcome to have a go at mine anytime!!  ;D

I had initially set my eyes on the mini CC, as I've seen it recommended several places.  In the end it was money that decided, I was offered a used Bobcat, and after seeing so many raving about it on FHF the choice was easy.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

June

Where are you based, Shirley?

Redhotsal

I think if you can afford it then go for it. Did you get to have a go on any of the torches at the Flame Off? The Nortel Minor burner is a pretty standard dual gas torch. Really well behaved nice torch - been using mine for four or five years! Have to say - for me - the Flame Off was great - but having a play on the torches was not the same as how it would be at home - don't forget - I think (correct me if I'm wrong) all the torches were running off bottled oxygen which is a different experience to an oxycon.

I started off on a hothead and I will defend it too. For the money it's a great torch. But it is slow and it is noisy. If you only have a couple of hours to play with then you ought to get as much out of them as you can. The Hothead is a bit like walking somewhere - great if you like walking and admiring every bit of the journey - but a dual gas torch is like driving to the same place. You get to the same end point - and only numpties claim the hothead isn't as good as a dual gas torch. Okay - there are a few things you can't do -like boro and some of the fancier glasses are harder to control, but some of the bigger torches struggle with boro and silver glass effects (or is it their owners??!  ;) ) And yes, look at Sarah Horniks beads.

So - IMO - there's not a huge case technically speaking for going from a hothead to a dual gass torch but there's a massive benefit in terms of practicality, speed and NOISE!

Shirley

Money's there, Sal, has been for a while. Couldn't get a look in really, for trying the torches at the Flame Off. Should have gone straight to try them out instead of looking around the stalls first.

I'm in Norwich. Miles from anywhere, but that's one of the reasons I live here ;)