Should I go dual fuel?

Started by Shirley, May 25, 2008, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

June

Shirley, quite !!  I'm in Derbyshire, so a bit far away really.  I got a Bobcat at Flame Off and I love it, though still getting used to it, too  ;D  But as Sal says, the noise is non existent after a HH, and much quicker, too.  I only have a couple of hours somewhere between 1-3 evenings a week, so the speed aspect is beneficial, too.   Isn't Martin at Newmaket soon (or have I missed it?), perhaps he could show you (and I'm sure he demos with a minor?)

Shirley

Newmarket is in a few weeks.

I've actually used a minor for the best part of a day at a class last summer. It was fine, didn't take too long to get the feel of it at all.

I really don't know why I'm going on about this. I should just make the decision, really.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Redhotsal

BUY - IT - BUY - IT - BUY - IT..........

Why? 'Cos you're worth it, of course!  ;D

Shirley

fionaess

Quote from: Kaz on May 25, 2008, 08:24:30 PM
On the other hand, it would take you a hell of a long time to melt £500 worth of glass on a hothead! ;D
Kaz
Wanna bet Kaz  ;D ;D  You provide the glass and I'll melt it  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Kaz

And you know I could  ;D
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

turnedlight

I just upgraded from a hothead, I bought the torch second hand and an oxycon, it cost approx £310 in all. I'm still getting used to it, there are a couple of things which seem trickier as on a hothead you're not in danger of the glass dripping off! Also it had a bushier flame than my new torch, so I didn't used to get things going 'crack' while I was making them, but I think I'm compensating already. But I can now do discs with ease, I got colour from glass I didn't before, I managed something off mandrel.. I'm not going back!

By the way, some long while ago, I thought Sarah Hornik did change her torch? I could have sworn I read it on her blog.. if not then I don't know where I got that idea, and I'm mightily impressed that it's all done on a hothead!
kathryn

jewelchiz84

Shirley, Im in Necton (25-35 miles from Norwich depending where in Norwich you are!). Ive got three torches set up, Minor, Mini CC & a Betta.
You are more than welcome to come and try any of them or all of them if you want to  :)

Lush!

Quote from: turnedlight on May 26, 2008, 09:59:43 AM
By the way, some long while ago, I thought Sarah Hornik did change her torch? I could have sworn I read it on her blog.. if not then I don't know where I got that idea, and I'm mightily impressed that it's all done on a hothead!

Yep, she took a new torch home with her from Belgium last November.

Quote from: jewelchiz84 on May 26, 2008, 10:17:13 AM

Ive got three torches set up, Minor, Mini CC & a Betta.

Cor, jammy Chrystal!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Shirley

That's very kind of you, Chrystal. It is half term this week so I might well take you up on the offer :)

Winny

I'm now holding out for a dual fuel, wasn't sure which to get but time and noise are issues that sung the balance, I know the advice wasn't for me but it was so helpful.
Thanks
Winny

Shirley

A big thank you to Chrystal. I just spent a morning at her studio playing with torches and glass. Must say, I'm very impressed with the studio itself and its setting. Had a great time. The coffee wasn't bad either! ;D

Kaz

BUT HAVE YOU BOUGHT A TORCH YET????? ;D
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Shirley

Quote from: Kaz on May 27, 2008, 02:20:35 PM
BUT HAVE YOU BOUGHT A TORCH YET????? ;D

Nope, but I've got a much better idea of what I might get. ;) :D

julieHB

Bet you two had alovely time!!  We are all waiting with anticipation  ;D ;D ;D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr