Float glass pictures

Started by handmadeheaven.biz, January 05, 2007, 02:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handmadeheaven.biz

Helene asked for some float pictures. This is the only one I have at the mo but I'll add more when I've done my float tests over the weekend.

This was a project called 'kiln carving' using a square of 6mm fibre paper and cutting into it with a scalpel to achieve reliefed effects. I was v pleased with the results. This photo shows the 4 different tiles stacked up. I need to take one of all four individually...

I'll dig out my float schedule and put it with the others for bullseye but I'm waiting on the updated schedule if someone has that?

Caroline

*drool*

anyone got a tissue?

those are fantastic Steph

BeadyBugs

Ooo they're lovely Steph. :) ?I had a root around for the float schedule, but no avail. :( ?I've got a few other ones, but not that one, soz.

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

thanks girls. i was surprised at how a plain bit of window glass can be transformed! it's just a single 6mm sheet. i will write a tute for this one day.

HP - who was it who told us?

BeadyBugs

The ones I found were by Beck (Chameleon), she was fount of knowledge for all things float.  I don't know if Debbie (Silver Zebra) might know too?

HP x
Helen P

Helene

Steph they are stunning.....im gonna have a go now for sure  :D thanks for posting the pictures.....I love pics me xx ....What else can you stick in there with the float glass?...copper, silver? anything else??

handmadeheaven.biz

ah yes, it was Beck. will nag her about it as i think she's here now

handmadeheaven.biz

Quote from: Helene on January 05, 2007, 02:46:38 PM
Steph they are stunning.....im gonna have a go now for sure :D thanks for posting the pictures.....I love pics me xx ....What else can you stick in there with the float glass?...copper, silver? anything else??
float is a new thing for me. i'll let you know how it goes as i'm trying copper over the w/e. i think you can use the same metals as for art glass but they may react with the tin side of the glass

littlegiggles

Su

Those are gorgeous, Steph! 

I'm amazed at what glass can do if asked to nicely.  I definitely want to try fusing now!

-Su

handmadeheaven.biz

i knew i'd break you Su ;) muhahaha!

Su

You fiend!  I'm waiting for Mike to go away for the weekend and the studio will be MINE, all MINE!

Actually I have a huge bag of very cool pieces of leftover cane from a paperweight artist, they're sitting in the studio waiting for me to do something with them, and I wanted to try fusing them into little patterns. No idea what the glass is so that means testing them first. 

I'm hoping I can get kiln time when Mike's not annealing, we have a Paragon Caldera with a bead door but it shuts completely and seals well so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

-Su

handmadeheaven.biz

good luck! photos of results a must :P

if you want to check glass compatability you'll need polarising filters

handmadeheaven.biz

for anyone who doesn't know what compatability filters are, they look like this (2nd page).... http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdfs/catalog4/bullseye_cat4_36-37.pdf

xtweeksx

Ah now thats something like Ive wanted to try..... saw it in a workshop/studio I visited in Australia. He made some amazing things using that technique (or something very similar)....

Looks brill...... give the glass a totally different look, love the though of using different textures on glass.

Look forward to seeing more in this area...

Jenx