Float glass pictures

Started by handmadeheaven.biz, January 05, 2007, 02:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chameleon

hellos all :) i made it here  ;D Steph, your kiln carvings are gorgeous !!

there is a bullseye tip sheet for it if anyone is interested in having a go (its lots of fun)

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdfs/technotes_tipsheets/TipSheet_01.pdf

as far as other inclusions you can use all sorts of stuff, metal leaf, thin metal wire (altho you may get air bubbles) i have managed to use some of my thompson enamels (yes the 104 coe compatible ones) altho only a thin layer not sure if it would work with a thicker layer. i have put small quantities of effetre frit in between layers too :D best thing is to do small test bits of lots of things all at once and see what works :)

Chameleon

have just taken some pics of some tests and bits i have done will put them on here when i can find the lead to attach to the pc !! (technically challenged isnt in it)

Josephine

Those are lovely Steph.

Talking of kiln carving, I saw a lovely platter that must have been done into a (plaster of paris??) mold made using sea shells. It had been sand blasted too. It was really beautiful.

handmadeheaven.biz

i have new pictures to add later after last night's float test. some interesting outcomes :) i was paranoid that it wouldnt work at all but thankfully all 5 test pieces went okay. watch this space....!

Helene

handmadeheaven.biz

here are the photos of last night's float glass experiments (9 x 9cm) showing some pre-fired and fired pieces...

Large Heart

Large Double Heart

this piece had the copper too close to the edge and you can see how it has burned and distorted...

Snowballs

Autumnal (my fave)

Chameleon

love those leaves Steph they have come out gorgeous !!! :)

i have now found my lead for the card reader to attach to the pc (like ive been looking for it for the last hour) so one i have sorted the uni pics will load some pics of float tests i did. they are no pretty like yours tho steph !! they are just basic what happens if tests :)

Chameleon

ok not going quite to plan as have had to do pics on old pc and email them to new one (dont ask) but i have the first couple, these are float and enamels, before and after sandblasting
ok struggling to upload second pic. will have to add it to photobucket or something !! and try that !!

xtweeksx

Ohhhh I love Autumn..... my fav  colours and I think youve hit the spot beautifully.

chameleon is the pic an after one???  :)Im a newbie to fusing an cant tell.....sorry!

Jenny

handmadeheaven.biz

Quote from: xtweeksx on January 08, 2007, 06:44:42 PM
Ohhhh I love Autumn..... my fav  colours and I think youve hit the spot beautifully.

chameleon is the pic an after one???  :)Im a newbie to fusing an cant tell.....sorry!

Jenny
yeah, jenny, it's 'after'. the tip is look at the corners - see they are rounded? if it were pre-fired it would be layered sheets of glass (see my prefire photos above) with normal 90degree corners

Helene

Lovely Steph.....they are stunners  :o  thanks for all your help everyone x

♥♥Tan♥♥

That Autumn one is really good, I think your onto something there!!

LittleHen

I've just been shopping for some float glass.  there's a whole range of coloured glass that is compatible with window glass so I thought I'd go down that route.  Apparently you can make stringer and twisties etc using a lampwork torch.
The woman at the shop is really friendly and the best thing is that they are only 20 minutes from my house (Bradford side of Leeds)!
No website yet but one on the way.  tel 01274 616 941 email sales@pvsuk.com
Got loads of different colours so will post some piccies when I get going next month.
PVS said they'd email me a firing schdule to get started.  Also you can hire their massive kiln (about the size of a double bed!) or a part of it for a reasonable cost.
Looking forward to getting stuck in, they've also got some dichroic and loads of other fancy stuff to add to it but I thought I'd just play with colours and copper first.
Jessie

♥♥Tan♥♥

What a find Jessie and it sounds like an absolute blast,,,,keep us posted and some pics when you get going, I would love to know how you find it ;D

handmadeheaven.biz

i have their catalogues. they are great :D