Oxygen Converter - what are they like?

Started by Soo, April 25, 2008, 04:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soo

I am thinking about getting an oxygen converter (probably one of the reconditioned ones from Martin at Tuffnell Glass) so I can go dual fuel. Are they noisy when they are running? I don't want to be too much of a nuisance to my neighbours when I am in my shed (having said that, the Hot Head and my fan doesn't seem to bother them so as long as it's quieter than they are ...!)

Are there any important issues to consider when purchasing one?

Dizzy Di

After using the HH its quiet and cheaper than oxygen.

Dianne

Diane

Hi - I've never used a hothead but I love my oxycon. I bought mine from Martin and have had no problems whatever - had it for about two years and I bet it's well paid for itself v. cylinder oxygen - not to mention convenience.  It just sits in the corner and 'sighs' - only way to describe it really.  If you have your fan or extractor going you won't notice the oxycon. - would recommend.

Diane x

Sherry Bellamy

I think the word "sighs" is a perfect description of the sound, it's gentle and rythmic, quite soothing. I use two, and I don't find the sound intrusive at all.  One thing to be aware of, they do produce some heat. In a well ventilated room it wouldn't be an issue, but in summer I run a little floor fan in my studio to help keep things cool.

I made the transition from HotHead to minor in about ten minutes, after the HH racket it was just heaven.

beadysam

Mine chugs, but you don't notice it after a while and I can't hear it outside the pigsty either.

spheresofglass

I have just bought my second one, plus a new torch.... sorry to be a show off, but it's the new cheetah, you need two for that baby... 

The one that I have, and have used for over three years now is quiet, I've never gone down the oxy bottle root, after readying the do's and dont's I got frightend off and went straight for the oxy con.  Never looked back, they are a god send to cowards like me, and noise wise, no, it's not noticeable, my music is louder!! 

Sandy ;)

garishglobes

After the Hothead, life with an oxycon is quiet... very quiet... the problems are being able to hear the kids again!

Revontulet

I've got 2 - one sighs and rumbles a bit, the other sighs and rattles a bit - but both together still quieter that a HH.  ;D
Dawn

glassworks

the average footie crown is quieter than a hot head!... shoots, ducks, runs for his life chased by sarah hornik!...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Shirley

Quote from: glassworks on April 25, 2008, 09:13:26 PM
the average footie crown is quieter than a hot head!... shoots, ducks, runs for his life chased by sarah hornik!...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

You haven't heard Delia Smith at Norwich City, then, Q :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

ejralph

My oxycons think they are the spice girls

chugga chug AHhhhh

It is quite a nice noise I think, and I am easily irked by noises of all kinds.

Mind you, I don't actually have my oxycons in the shed with me, so it could be I did used to get annoyed and just forgot.

Emma

greenbeadenvy

Brilliant!!!!! ;D I got through loads and loads of oxy tanks within the first few weeks of beading and had to do something about the costs. My oxy con is the best thing I ever bought and has paid for itself 100 times over.
It beeps when you turn it on for a few seconds and then gently humms to itself. I make my beads with tourists watching and asking questions(stupid ones like 'excuse me, do you work here ::) and are you busy >:() and the noise is so quiet that no one ever knows it's there.
You will never regret buying one :)
Emma xx

Soo

Excellent, thank you all very much for your info and for making me laugh with your replies - I will definitely be getting one very soon! This is all very reassuring.  :) :) :)

Soo

I just ordered one of Tuffnell's refurbished oxycons, Martin says it's in stock, we've arrange delivery on Thursday cos I'm definitely in all day and so can wait for it. Also ordered some new-to-me colours of glass, some double helix frit (also not used before), a dual fuel torch (gone for the Carlisle Mini CC) and an optic mold (also not used one before).

Can't wait, I am all excited now, but my bank account took a bit of bashing ...!  :)

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr