Installing 32 amp kiln

Started by glasskanvas, April 14, 2008, 12:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glasskanvas

Can anyone tell me how envolved it is to install a 32 kiln. I want to go large but don't really want major work done to the flat to get it there. Obviously I need an electrician but can say, one of my sockets be converted? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I really haven't got a clue!?

glassworks

your leccie will wire in a new circuit for you, it can be a surface mount cable if you need to get rid of this circuit later... there will be a separate earthed switch in the leccie cupbaord, and a really fat cable to the socket.. 32amps is high but not massively so compared to some electrical ovens/cookers or such like..

Lee - Kilncare

Well said, one thing to bear in mind is what size is your main house fuse, it is generally 80 or 100 amp and also what other electrical items you use. Is your cooker electric? Is your shower electric e.t.c. If they both are then, if someone showers at tea time it is possible that 60 plus amps could be being used. On an 80amp supply that would only leave 20amps for your kiln and the rest of you house. You don't need to be a mathematician to realise a 32amp kiln in these conditions would need some carefull "time to use" planning.

It is always well worth checking with an electrician that there is, in his opinion, enough "spare" power.

Also, in true, "Lee, Mr dammed regulations, from Kilncare" stylee....I think you may find that if you don't use a Niceic approved electrician your insurance company may have something to say if, heaven forbid, there was an accident. Well worth checking.
:(

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Shirley

I am sooo glad my garage has a separate 100amp circuit!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Lee - Kilncare

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Shirley

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

glasskanvas

ok.....what about a 20 amp kiln. Will that require the same set up? I've been recommended that a cooker switch would be enough for it....does that require a separate circuit? Can an existing socket be converted?

glassworks

existing socket can be upgraded- but you need a new rcd at the distribution board.. 20 amps is not that much, as you can see from the powershower/cooker requiremnets.. always better to get a new spur added - to be fair most leccies are happier to do it this way..

glasskanvas

thanks for all the help guys!

Lee - Kilncare

Sorry Glassworks, not being picky mate. The existing socket should only be upgraded if it is not part of a ring main. Also, depending on the length of cable run, the standard 2.5mm may get warm as it's carrying capacity of 27ish amps drops with distance and installation type, so existing cable size also needs to be checked out.

Also, I personally would not recommend fitting an R.C.D. directly onto any kiln as kilns are quite a high "leakage" piece of equipment and can sometimes be problematic on 30MA R.C.D.s. It totally depends where the distribution board is and also if the garage is attached to the house e.t.c. The main house R.C.D. may well be more than adequate. It may be that he needs to totally split the kiln from your existing house supply in which case he would then need to install a separate R.C.D.

My personal recommendation would be to get in the expert, tell him what you want and if he wants to install a R.C.D. ask him if he is happy to install a 100 M.A. version.

Calls from people with "healthy" kilns blowing R.C.D.s are not unheard of in the Kilncare office :-[

Unfortunately, simple questions such as a kiln supply can have many many hidden problems sorry :-\

TWITTER @kilncare

glasskanvas

ok.....i've not got a clue! I want to install the kiln in my apartment...it's big enough. Does adding one of these rcd thingies involve lots of holes in lots of walls?

Lee - Kilncare

In your apartment!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D Fantastic!

If your are installing it in your apartment it is almost certain that the existing 13 amp socket outlet is part of a ring main and as such not really suitable for an upgrade.

So, it is looking like you may have to have a new supply for your kiln.

As I haven't visited for a cuppa :D I don't know the lay out of your apartment, but your sparky will have to get back to your main fuses so, you will know better than me what route he can take.

What type of kiln are you thinking of?

TWITTER @kilncare

glasskanvas

It's a Nabertherm gd75- the biggest I could afford at the mo really....although to be honest if fitting is is an extensive a job as it's starting to look I don't think i'll bother. I don't really want big holes and tracks of wires everywhere  :-\

Lee - Kilncare

I may have a sollution.

Firstly though, is the GD75 or the GF75. I am struggling to find details for the GD75.

TWITTER @kilncare

Les

Liking the new banner Lee.... how goes it ?