Main Menu

Siver cores

Started by dangerousbead, February 01, 2008, 02:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangerousbead

I've just read an old post regarding silver core beads but it's gone quiet so I'll start a new one, my first post - ta da.  I got some 5mm mandrels from Martin, 4 for a tenner, and some silver cores from allbeads for you, I glued them in which was a bit messy but managed to clean the bead up with some nail varnish remover. The only thing is that the core halves don't meet in the middle, not that that would matter once it's strung but I wonder if it reduces its market value? Anyone have an opinion?

Billie

Are those the silver core rivets?  I'm not sure how many people who are doing silver cores, use them.  I think most are using silver tube and dapping tools.... but I don't know much about silver cores yet so might be wrong  :)

mizgeorge

As a buyer (and jewellery maker) I have to say that I will not buy the prefabricated core beads (sorry). I think they make often very pretty beads look cheap.

I know making the 'real thing' can result in some casualties, but the end result is completely worth it IMO.

Only my opinion of course!

dangerousbead

Your opinion is of huge value. Thanks. I'll just use the rivets for practise in that case and save up for the dappers.

Billie

You can find a tutorial for silver cores here:

http://www.dawnandevan.com/tutorials.htm

HTH  :)

dangerousbead

Yeah thanks I've seen that already, looks long winded but I guess it's worth the end result.

turnedlight

I use the cores you bought and I sell them at a lower price at my fairs around here - people are happy with them and to be honest, some would not appreciate the greater craftsmanship and cost of the real thing, unfortunately for me! I am considering getting all the stuff, but I don't think the rivet cores are too shoddy!
I just coat the mandrel once fairly thinly, so that the silver cores can't waggle when they are pushed in, then you get a nice neat look, also, you can make sure that your 'footprint' is the right sort of size so that there's no gap inside..  :)
kathryn

dangerousbead

Do you mean you don't clean the bead before you insert the rivets? Do you use glue? I think if there's no adhesive there's nothing to stop the rivet falling out. Anyway, thanks for your feed back, I think although it's probably a far nobler bead that has a "proper" silver core there is nothing wrong with a riveted one as long as it's not passed off as something it's not. I know my customers are just gob smacked that anyone can actually make beads at all - full stop. : )

turnedlight

Oh no - I do clean them! And they are glued in with very strong, space filling glue - I think it's two part but not sure as my Dad does them  ;)
kathryn

turnedlight

Well, I have had a look at some on the market in shops, and some of them are not all that marvellous some are nowhere near the lovely, artisan ones you see by some of the guys on frit happens !
I haven't felt like I'm trying to pass something off.. and mine are only £8 so I'm not trying to pretend they are top of the range, but even so, I think when it's done well, it is perfectly good, and I'm happy with the quality at the price I'm selling at. Also, I mostly sell in person, to local people, so people get a jolly good look and ask me questions, and they know they can come back to me if there were to be any probs..
kathryn

dangerousbead

Good for you, Yeah I think honesty is the best policy, if folks don't like it then they don't have to buy it. I've attached (I think) a photo of my first silver core, I think it's ok but not perhaps for the purists out there. Maybe one day when I've sold enough of these I'll be able to buy the gear to do it properly. Thanks for all your help :-*

turnedlight

Well I think that looks very smart - I like it! :)
kathryn

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

dangerousbead

Hey Kaz, I just checked out your etsy shop, I live in Alty too! Small world :P

Kaz

Amazing - that now makes at least three of us! Whereabouts are you? Are you coming to my get together a week on Saturday?
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!