using a fibre paper stencil on top of tekta rather than underneath

Started by Flowers, August 31, 2020, 08:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowers

Hello hope all well very quick question.  I have been reading up a lot about kiln carving and watching lots of videos and how tos on You Tube I see that for kiln carving the glass is placed on top of the fibre paper design.  However, I wonder would it or can it work to carve out a design/stencil on 3mm or 6mm fibre paper place this fibre stencil directly onto clear tekta then fill the stencil with frit and stringers, coloured glass etc and fire on a full or tack fuse.  So that the design from the stencil comes out on top of the tekta?
Has anyone had any success doing this or tried it?

Dietmar

The idea is interesting and worth to try it. If you are going for tackfuse the frit will stay as raised shapes. That might look interesting in combination with cut shapes from the same colors, because the frit will shatter the light different than the solid pieces. If there is space in your kiln with the mica experiments just put a square grit of fiber paper on a sheet of tecta and fill each hole with a different idea, color, size of frit, ... untill you run out of ideas. I would recommend about one inch holes and half inch walls. Make some triangular holes and fill the different angles in the corners to see, how well the frit fills them and sticks to the base.

If you use a 3mm base and use one 3mm type of glass for the "borders" as mentioned for the fiber paper, the result will be total different. You can combine both types of "borders" to your advantage, just play with it!

Flowers

Hi Dietmar
Thank you for some super ideas and for taking the time to help me out.
What do you think will happen if I fully fused the 3mm fibre stencils that are filled with frit directly on the tekta?  Do you mean that is prob better to tack fuse and then after that fully fuse if it works??
I think I need to experiment like you say.  Usually I am a bit gung ho and I just go for it and end up with disasters or happy surprises  :)