What silver glass is good to encase

Started by bucksbeadie, December 17, 2016, 09:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucksbeadie

I have had a few goes at encasing silver glass.l make a small cylinder of white, add the silver glass, reduce, keep the glass out of the flame and then encase. Great results with psyche but helios and aurae just go really pale and washed out.

Does anyone have any tips on silver glass that keeps it colour or base colours that help?

mel

Kalypso is always a cert for me, also Clio. They will react with some base colours, esp Clio which can turn a metallic blue similar to Triton.
To keep the pinkiness:
Clio: you need to encase most base colours with clear, then encase with Clio, heat hard, reduce and then encase with clear.
Kalypso: also reduces, but doesn't seem to need the striking that Clio does. Opal yellow is a good base for Kalypso, without needing to encase the base first.

I haven't tried Helios or aurae-but couldn't much get the hang of psyche except as capped dots.

DH have some online info on you tube I think, but I'm pretty sure it's a case of just trying it out to see what suits your torching style.
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

bucksbeadie

Thanks for that as I have never heard of encasing the base colour with clear before using the silver glass. I might go back and have another go with the aurae and helios using that technique

bucksbeadie

Also as suggested just had a look at a couple of DH videos on youtube and think i might have heated too vigorously so will try a more gentle approach after the final encasing layer - thanks

Rascal

I always find some silver glass very hit and miss, I think I've cracked it and then next ones are rubbish. It is still addictive though to keep trying. If you do a search on this forum, there are loads of threads with some useful tips and some lovely photos to look at whilst searching to keep your motivation up whilst trying to crack the colours.