Main Menu

Strange request!

Started by babyshoes, August 04, 2016, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyshoes

I've had an odd request - has anyone incorporated breast milk into glass, in the same way one would do ashes or hair?  :o

I see people are making them out of resin, but can't find anyone doing it with glass. Apart from putting some in a small blown vessel, which would go totally yuck after a while, does anyone have any ideas how this could be done with glass?

lampworklover

Good lord, that is odd!!  Not heard of it, but I'd have a go with some cows milk and see what happens. I imagine that it would leave a sort  of scum on clear glass (in the same way that greasy fingers do), but have a play and see what happens.

babyshoes

Thanks, that's about what I'm planning, also thought about trying to dehydrate it & use the powder like ashes... Not sure it'll work but I'll let you all know if I discover something that does!

Moira HFG

I suppose you could do it like bottled fruit on a tiny scale - make a small vessel, put your milk in, then make a little wire stand to hold it upright in a saucepan of water as you bring it gently to bug-killing temp*, hold for about 10 mins, then seal the top with wax and a cork or glass stopper. Allow it to cool slowly in the water, then if it hasn't imploded, wire the top on. If it's properly airtight it shouldn't then go off. But it might separate I suppose.

I still think it's weird.

* I do fruit in F - 165 to 180 degrees.

Steampunkglass

I have actually heard of someone else doing this, but that was in Boro and I am not sure how he did it in the end, I suspect he made a small vessel with a long thin stalk, annealed this, then when it was cold filled it with milk then sealed the end quickly - or at least that's what I would try to do!

Ian Pearson

Yep done this. Key is being able to leave very small gap between milk and heat. Smelly job

Ian