Multiple firings

Started by Pat from Canvey, January 06, 2015, 05:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

I'm thinking of doing a project with 5 or more firings. Will this cause me any problems if I anneal properly each time?

flame n fuse

Hi Pat, With bullseye (depending on which colours you use), you might get more devitrification.

Zeldazog

Make sure you extend your annealing time each time you fire. 

There was a chap who used to post regularly on here about fusing projects, was it Dennis Brady?  I think it was he who suggested that after four firings there is a risk that the glass becomes unstable, but I don't know if there's any technical back up to that.

Moira HFG

I've never done this many. What are you making, Pat?

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Moira HFG on January 06, 2015, 11:35:02 PM
I've never done this many. What are you making, Pat?
I was thinking of a plate with COE 104 glass. I have some clear sheet bought years ago from Martin but also have lots of stringer and twisties made over years. Piling twisties on top of other bits is obviously difficult so I've done one lot and hope to put more on top with other firings. I've also found a company in Kent that does COE 104 sheet in different colours. Can you tell I'm trying to rationalise some of my glass  ::)  ::)  ::)

Moira HFG

Great idea! I look forward to seeing that.

You remind me of a video I saw ages ago...I've just looked it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJnHKSrscY
I've been meaning ever since to glue a big pile of something together and fuse it, but haven't got round to it yet! I remember being really impressed that you could assemble all that and take it to the kiln - even if you had to drive to it!  :D  :D

Pat from Canvey

Memo to self, do not fuse pieces onto single 3mm sheet, even when experimenting.  ::)  ::)  ::)

flame n fuse

Pat from Canvey

OK Don't laugh,  It's a complete mess and the only thing to do is chop it up with a load of COE104 clear and melt in the vitrigraph kiln.

Essex Girl

I'm not laughing Pat.  Call me odd but I rather like the look of that.
Karen
x

flame n fuse

ruth

I like it too. no one but you knows what it should have looked like.
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Blue Box Studio

Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

silkworm

Mary

MeadMoon

Me too.  What were you aiming for?
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy