Help! Kiln not working

Started by Nicknack, July 23, 2014, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicknack

As you may have seen, I bought a Paragon Fusion 10 on ebay in May.  Everything seemed to work fine when I got it plumbed in by our local electrician, so it's not the seller's fault.  i've finally got enough stuff ready to run it, went to switch it on yesterday, and nothing happened.  While moving things around in my workshop the other day the control box fell on the floor (it's bypassing the faulty one that came with the kiln when the seller bought it, so it's attached to the kiln by a wire), and I'm afraid it must have got damaged. Ben (the electrician) came this morning to have a look at it, and he's narrowed it down to one component on the circuit board, but can't do anything about it (beyond his expertise!).  The lady I bought it from said she had it serviced, so I thought I'd ask her who did it for her, but I can't find any record of the ebay messages we exchanged, so can't get in touch with her >:(.  Does anybody know what I can do, or anyone who services Paragon kilns in the Devon/Somerset area?  I took a picture of the bit that needs replacing, but it might be that I have to replace the whole circuit board :'( :'( :'(.

Thank you for any help, I know someone will know the answer, you're all brilliant!

Nick

Shirley

Cherry Heaven in Dorset are the official Paragon people, so might be a good starting point.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

cbeadies

Was it this one that you bought? I looked on 'completed listings' on ebay....if it is, you could probably contact the seller via her user name if you need to find out where she had it serviced.  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paragon-Fusion-10-Glass-Kiln-/131181882324?pt=UK_Crafts_Glass_Art_Supplies_CV&hash=item1e8b0cabd4

Blue Box Studio

Cherry Heaven are in Corfe Castle and will probably want you to take it to them.  He was also not well, I think I read elsewhere, so not sure what service will be like.  TBH I contacted them when my SC2 wasn't working and I'd liken them to Kwik Fit - it seemed to be everything under the sun including the motherboard and turned out to be the relay that I could sort myself (thanks to a lovely lady in Paragon USA who rang me to help me sort).  Perhaps I just had a difficult case?  Others might have had better service (although others have told me not).

I know it's not a Kiln Care but have you tried Lee?  He might be able to point you in the right direction of someone who can service?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Nicknack

Thank you!  I knew people would help :-*.  Yes, cbeadies, that's the one.  I'll try to contact her, and see who she recommends, Ilminster isn't very far away from here, so, if he goes to her, he will probably come here.  I'll also investigate Cherry Heaven, and Lee.

Thanks again.

Nick

Nicknack

All sorted now.  I looked up the makers of the controller online, and rang them.  They could tell from the serial number who had supplied it to the lady, and rang and emailed him, and he came up from Torquay this afternoon and fitted a new one.  I'm ready to fire it up tomorrow morning.  There's also a setting on it to let me know how much each firing has cost, which should be very useful.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Nick

Opalshards

I am glad you got it fixed. I hope your new project goes well.

Nicknack

Quote from: Opalshards on September 03, 2014, 08:18:13 PM
     I am glad you got it fixed. I hope your new project goes well.

Thank you.  I've had the kiln going almost constantly after the problem was fixed, making loads of dishes and tea light holders for a big party we gave on 23rd August to celebrate our significant birthdays, silver wedding anniversary and DD's engagement.

Nick