New problem - thermal cracking - compatibility?

Started by Blue Box Studio, August 23, 2014, 11:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

I rarely  have problems with beads cracking but in the last couple of weeks I've lost a lot of approx 1" lentils and hearts to what looks like thermal cracking, straight down the middle.  As always my beads are going straight into the kiln for garaging, I've not changed the temp on my kiln, and it's only with Reichenbach Crystal clear and Val Cox frits (although rarely using anything else at the moment) - any one else having any compatibility problems?  It's only on the larger beads.

I'm getting to the stage I'm worried to sell anything bigger than a spacer!  Cracks aren't always apparent as soon as they are cleaned, just spotted 2 more cracks developing a week after making.

Have also noticed that the same glass and frits are giving me a slightly grey appearance to the clear glass, again only on the larger beads - thought I was working too close to the flame but no, make a conscious effort not to and still getting it; changed the gas tank in case I had a mucky old tank, no different.

Suddenly feeling the past few weeks I've slumped back 4 years to being a newbie!  Actually, I didn't have many cracked beads then either; wonky, yes, but not cracked.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Pat from Canvey

Have you tried using a different clear with the frit, Sue to try to identify the problem. Or use less frit with the Reichenbach to see if that's causing the cracking. Can't help otherwise.

Shirley

I would say try a different clear too. The frits do get a lot of testing before they are put on sale, but I don't know which clear is used. If you let me know which frits I'll do a bit of testing too.

You're using it on the surface, aren't you, Sue, or were they encased?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Essex Girl

Funny, I have had a couple of beads crack recently.  I made several smallish beads with white core covered with frit then encased.  I can't remember the brands of all the frit but the two with Val Cox rise and shine have cracked, such a shame as it is a lovely colour.  I used Effetre white and clear.
Karen
x

Blue Box Studio

Thanks :)  I only have the Reichenbach clear, I'll have to order more in I guess but I didn't like the last batch of Effetre clear (06) as it was so scummy.

Yes, am only using it on the surface and not encasing and not using more than the 5% (a little goes a long way with VC frits).  I don't think it is the frit, I just get the feeling it is the Crystal clear.

Shirley, biggest culprits have been Sadie Hawkins, Mood Swings and River Dance.
Sue

Miriam

I have had compatibility problems with Reichenbach clear, both 1011 and 1012. Over the 10 years I have been making beads, the only clear I have never had compatibility problems with is Effetre. From every brand I have had wrong batches and some clears never come back on the makrket because they can't get is to be compatible. I use thicker rods of Effetre and I peel them. It is a pain in the butt, but it is the only way you get perfect clear without any problems.
groetjes Miriam

Blog | Website | Colorcharts | Glasss

Kaz

Sue I would suggest you get some of the Reichenbach 92/94 COE from Beadbug - this should then be completely compatible with the frits.
http://www.beadbug.co.uk/beadbugfritshop/prod_2219263-Crystal-Clear-RodsCanes-Reichenbach-CoE-94-2-RW0201.html

Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Kaz on August 24, 2014, 08:35:34 AM
Sue I would suggest you get some of the Reichenbach 92/94 COE from Beadbug - this should then be completely compatible with the frits.
http://www.beadbug.co.uk/beadbugfritshop/prod_2219263-Crystal-Clear-RodsCanes-Reichenbach-CoE-94-2-RW0201.html

Kazx

But I've never had a problem until this last batch?  And it's not every focal I make, perhaps only 25% (which is high enough %)
Sue

Cecilia

Hi. I had the frit cracking issue recently with a batch of val cox frits, almost all cracked and not immediately, sometimes days and weeks later. I bought some clear from Caroline at beadbug coe96 and save it just for frits. Not had the problem since. X

Beadbug

Even though I have tons of CoE 96 rods, I often use frit on glass with CoE 104 and occasionally have cracking issues, mainly with the red frit; but when I use a lot of frit I always turn to the CoE 96 rods.

Just to let you know that we have a few different clear rods at www.beadbug.co.uk that are compatible with using unlimited amounts of frit. These are the Reichenbach Coe 94(+/-2), Gaffer CoE 96 and System 96 -Uroboros.

Shirley

I can only say again that it's unlikely to be the frit itself unless you've overdone it, especially if it's a variety of blends that are being used. I'd thoroughly recommend using one of the clears that Beadbug has if you are just encasing or laying frit onto the clear. I shall continue doing what I do already - lots of silver, lots of frit and plenty of abuse!

Blue Box Studio

I still think it's the batch of glass.  I made a lot yesterday with the same frits but some effetre transparents and no problems there, but the one I made with Laurasia and R crystal cracked.  Have a ton of the Reichenbach to wade through, am only making frit beads at the mo and no money to buy more glass so will have to concentrate on smaller beads for now until some money comes in.
Sue

Shirley

Must be a relief to isolate the problem. Laurasia is actually a pretty tolerant frit, too. I use it to make faux boro, so it gets a lot of working and encased as well. :)