silver wire problem on glass

Started by cwest, August 20, 2014, 01:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwest

I have been making some beads with light ivory, a stripe of pearl grey on top, and fine silver wire, from Tuffnells on top of the grey. I have made lots of these in the past, no problems. But with this batch there is a brown streak where the silver melts, between the silver blobs that are left. It is the colour of rust, and looks like that.  I have etched them and also put them in pickle but it hasn't made a difference. None of the others, made a couple of years ago, did this.
Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Carolyn

ajda

Some glasses react like that more than others - ivory is well known for it of course, but you're laying the silver wire on the pearl grey only, I assume? Is this the same grey that you used before? Another factor might be flame atmosphere - an oxidising flame may produce more of the reaction, so try a slightly reducing flame.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
It could be that you have worked with Dark Ivory instead of Light Ivory .

Best wishes ,
Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

cwest

Yes, Alan,I  just put the silver wire on the grey. But, come to think of it, I did use marmorin last time, not grey. I have only a bit left of the nice dark batch of marmorin, but will try that tomorrow to see if that makes the difference. Will also try a more reducing flame
I am sure it was light ivory, Martin, unless you sent me a wrongly labelled batch!

Carolyn