Main Menu

Glitter effect

Started by kizzy1, May 31, 2014, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kizzy1

Hi, is there any type of material (aside from dichroic or fine mica powder) that can be used in 104 glass beads? I'm using dichroic at the moment but wanted to know if there was some type of sparkly glitter or frit I could use instead. Any advice would be a big help :)

Kizzy1
the perpous of life is 2 experience your excillence & then go home.

Magpie

Goldstone or blue goldstone? Some glass has glittery bits, tangerine sparkle (though that's a hard to see glitter) and antique clear (possibly, if I remember correctly). FenG did frit mixes with goldstone as one of the components.

helbels

Howaco in the USA sell Mike Flakes, which literally look like glitter in the beads - I think it's what Beverley at Pegasus is using in a lot of her beads at the moment - I'd had some in my cupboard for ages, but it wasn't until I saw the lovely stuff Bev's doing at the moment, that I twigged how to use it to the best effect. (Thanks Bev!!)

bearyboo

I think some of the val cox frit also has goldstone in, I cant remember which one.

I have also found that vetro jungle twilight has glitter in.

Daniellex

Jellybean

Shirley

Val Cox Starry Night, Emerald Glacier and champagne Rain for starters.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

kizzy1

Thanks for the replays everyone, I'm thinking of a more glitter look so I might give the mica flakes a try, know of any company's selling it here in the uk?.....ordering from the US takes so long...had to wait over 5 weeks for a tool order then customs hit me with a £40 charge! :/
Is there a special way to use the flakes?

Cheers

Kizzy

helbels

Nope, you just heat the glass, roll in the flakes, then encase.   I've not found anywhere selling them in the UK, but they didn't take long to arrive from Howaco.

kizzy1

Fantastic, will place an order. What size would you recommend ....medium flakes or small?

Nicknack

helbels

JKC

I bought this, in both colours.  My tips: don't use too much it looks tacky, also you have to be careful to encase it with glass and not get the flame on it as it loses the shine and looks grey and yucky.  Janet

Arwynd

Thanks :) I wish wam glass carried coe other than 90, I'd love some of their dichroic frit flakes if they came in 96

Pegasus

Just thought i'd let you all know that I'm going to be stocking the super glittery mica in our web shop. I can't say exactly when, but it will be soon ish. These beads are made using the super glitter as the core of the bead & I use different transparent glass to encase it to create the glitter colour. The glitter comes as a silvery white colour. Keep your eyes peeled folks!!!

GOLDENEYE
by Pegasus Lampwork, on Flickr

FIESTA

JAZZ

flash

~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

Nicknack

Quote from: Arwynd on June 01, 2014, 09:29:13 PM
Thanks :) I wish wam glass carried coe other than 90, I'd love some of their dichroic frit flakes if they came in 96

If you can use 96 frit sparingly with 104 and 90, why can't you use 90 with 96?  Probably not a good idea with 104. ;) :D

Nick