Main Menu

raku powder

Started by shelly, April 29, 2014, 05:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelly

Hi, have looked through forum and cannot find anything helpful I apologise if it has been answered before.  I am trying a tutorial that uses raku powder and was wondering if anyone knows where i can get this in the uk.

Thanks

ajda

I make all my own frits and powders - if you have no luck finding a supplier I'd be happy to make you a batch. Let me know.

I use mainly boro frits, but my partner has lots of 104, including Iris Orange aka Raku. I crush the glass with a mild steel crusher made for me by a welder friend, screen it with magnets to remove any stray bits of steel, then sort it into coarse/medium/fine/powder grades using stainless steel mesh.

Good dust mask recommended for playing with glass powder!

Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Shirley

Vickie Christian might have some 104 Iris Orange, but it's more often used as in its 96COE form. There is a size 0 raku at www.valcoxfrituk.com that is the finest commercially available that I have actually seen here.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

shelly

thankyou for your help, might have a go at making it myself in that case.  who is Vicki Christian.  I have looked at Tuffnells and they have it in the reinbach  is there any where else you know that do it, or is it not in effetre.  Am very new to all this but am having a great time experimenting.

Shirley

Vickie Christian makes and sells 104 frit. http://www.vickiesemporium.co.uk

Reichenbach make Iris Orange, which is the same as Raku. Most people who use frit use the blends that are around 93-96 COE on 104 because you get a greater intensity of colour. You don't need to use much of it so compatibility is not usually an issue. Effetre don't actually produce frit themselves but that isn't an issue.

I stock the Val Cox range that I mentioned above. I use it a lot, and always on 104 glass, mostly Effetre , with no problem.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Dragonfire Glass

I think Tuffnels also have raku frit and they did have some powder

shelly

Thankyou for that, i have found it now, cant wait for it to arrive.