Golden Rules for 104 Lampworking?

Started by Fluffstar, April 02, 2014, 07:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffstar

Hi All,  new to Frit-Happens (been a reader but not a poster up until now...).

Sorry if there's been a post like this already, feel free to direct me to the thread (did a quick search and didn't find anything).

I'm a pretty experienced fuser but am exploring lampworking.  I've taken a course, but it was using boro, and mostly off-mandrel.

I'vw booked myself a day on the torch at the Glass Centre, and have some nice moretti rods to play with, some mandrels, a big fat jar of vermiculite and some long tweezers.  SO! I was wondering - any golden rules for using soft glass?  I'm going to keep the torch nice and low... and hope for the best!!  Any tips and advice would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy
Kathy

Dragonfire Glass

Keep your bead warm at all times.
Don't be afraid of making mistakes.
Have fun  ;D

Les

If it melts too fast, don't panic ... just pull it out of the flame and keep turning that mandrel nice n steady :)

Fluffstar

Thanks so much!  I am terrified it is going to melt instantly and drip all over the place =)
Kathy

Les

I remember being both panicked and mesmerized at the same time ... yes it dripped, hehe :)

helbels

Don't put your fingers in the bright flickery thing, it stings a bit if you do.  ;D

Hold your mandrel parallel to the desk top.  Wonky mandrel = wonky bead.

Sort your ventilation out.  Don't take chances with your lungs.

Don't buy presses and other shaping tools too soon.  Learn to make a decent donut bead and round bead without them first - otherwise you'll have to learn all over again at some point down the line.

Les

Oh and *always* pay attention to what you pick up from the glass bench ... the warm end of rods and stringer tends to smart a bit ;)

Fluffstar

Thanks so much everyone!  I'm really looking forwards to it.  Just want to make some doughnut beads really, and maybe something off-mandrel when I've used all my mandrels and still have 3 hours to go! 

That was another question - can you make multiple beads on one mandrel?  or will they cool and crack?

Thank you =)
Kathy

helbels

If you keep them very small you'll be fine. One of the best exercises you can do when starting out is try making 8 or 10 spacer donuts on a mandrel and try to get the sizes consistent.  Some teachers get their students to make 100 spacers before they do anything else as it teaches you so much about moving and shaping glass.

Pauline

come to flame off in Uttoxeter the weekend after next and play, learn, watch brilliant lampworkers in action and Buy

flame n fuse

once you've got past the basics, subscribe to Soda Lime Times - it's full of great ideas and excellent value for money

Nicknack

Passing the Flame by Corina Tettinger is the lampworker's bible.  It's quite expensive, but worth it.  It tells you just about everything you need to know to get started.

Nick

Fluffstar

Thanks everyone, so helpful =)  who knows, maybe flame off next year!
Kathy

Margram

Point the glass rod away from you when first introducing it to the flame. If a bit spits off, it's less likely to hit you! Have a bowl of water nearby to cool any burns plus burn cream - some people swear by aloe vera. Wear natural fibres in case you do have a mishap - fleece fabric will just melt. Once safety is in place just have fun! ;D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Gordon

Things stay hot, very hot, for a long time, as I found out to my cost several times  :(