Dip n Go Sludge very gassy

Started by Trudi, March 28, 2014, 03:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Hi

I use Dip n Sludge bead release for work that is a bit tougher .. while it does hold it does often release a lot of gases causing my glass to bubble up quite a bit. I've tried heating really hot, and just a bit and it's the same.

Anyone else have the same issues?

tinker

I had exactly the same problem with lucky dip, mega heating it would sometimes work but with some glasses there was just no hope. No practical advice I'm afraid :(

Calico Cat

Do you flame dry or air dry?

I found with the lucky dip it was OK if I flame dried but hopelessly bubbly if i let the release air dry.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Trudi

Never thought of that ... I've been air drying. Will try flame drying x

Trudi

tried that .. even though it says you can flame dry it .. it spits at me and comes off the mandrel!

julieHB

I almost always flame dry - do you hold it far out, in fact in front of the flame, Trudi? If you put it straight in the flame the bead release will boil, whereas you just want to warm it gently so the moisture steams off.

Another thing you can try is to put them in the kiln to dry, before you start putting in beads.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Jellybean

The only way I can get it to work for me is to let it air dry for a bit, and then to finish it off - slowly!!! - in the flame. Never had the bubbly problem, but give it too much heat when it's too wet the whole lot pops off. It's definitely not my release of choice, but I'm not always as organised as I'd like to be... however, the fact I don't get on with it is making me more organised!!!  :D Sometimes the thought of using it makes me leave things until another day  :-\ I'm not sure that me and it will ever be great friends, but in an emergency...

Trudi

I thought I was being gentle warming it up .. almost got there and pop!

I'll have another go!