Torch flame surging

Started by mindy23, November 28, 2007, 06:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindy23

Hello, I should probably start by saying, it's very very cold here tonight.  I've been working out all day in my workshop and after a tea break I returned and when I lit the torch again it was doing this odd surging.  About every 20 seconds it flared a little like it was a propane surge.  I checked my regulator out on my bottle and the needle on the pressure gauge is surging at the same time.  Has anybody had this happen before?  Needless to say I ran away as I am a real coward when it comes to gas!  My regulator is about 1 year old and has the 2 dials on it.  I was looking on Martin's site and he has a one stage regulator there, in case I have to buy one, is that one suitable for using with a minor and 2 oxycon set up?  
I'm always asking so many odd questions here, I'm sure everyone sick of me. :-[

It could be much worse, but... it could also be much, much better...

Billie

I wish I had an answer for you petal.  I've not had to change a tank of propane yet as I get so little time at the torch so the first thing that crossed my mind was wondering if the gas supply was running low creating the surge to keep it at pressure...  Someone will be along with an answer soon  :)

Mary

Maybe your regulator or bottle valve is freezing? I keep my regulator set fairly high and control it at the torch because in cold weather I used to have to turn the regulator up mid session. It works fine like that, maybe it would help? Or is your gas running low?

Lush!

Unfortunately I don't have anything helpful to say, but I have experienced this too so I'm interested in the outcome.

I'm awaiting a replacement oxycon at the moment and I wondered if it could have been something to do with my faulty oxycon? Although you're probably right that its regulator-related, I only started fiddling with my regulator when the oxycon wasn't working.

???

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

mindy23

Thanksfor your replies.  It's just a brand new bottle of propane.  It is cold tonight.  I have my propane set at 5 just now but I have had to go and change it mid session too.  How high is it safe to set it at?  Just quickly too, do either of you havthe regulator with the 2 dials? I know that's not a very technical term but... it can be a real pain trying to fit it too the gas bottles unless they have a wide handle on them.  The one stage one on Tuffnells looks like it would be less awkward.  Just in case I have to go and buy a new one.  Is everyone else as terrifed of gas as me or am I just a big coward????

mindy23

Hi Julie, sorry your post came in after I'd done mine.  It's odd because I have 2 oxycons and one of them operates constantly with the orange warning light on.  Twice this week it's packed in on me mid session but has come back to life thankfully.  I did check that but when I saw that the needle on the gas regulator was fluctuating I assumed it must have been gas related.  Does anyone else still use an oxycon that has the orange light on all the time?  I haven't had any problems with it, just interested to know. 

Lush!

I'm definitely terrified of gas too!

My regulator is from Martin, it doesn't have any needle at all. In fact I've only very recently discovered the markings on it - turns out you have to tip your head upside down to see, bit like drinking water upside down to get rid of hiccups!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Mary

Yes to the orange light on one of my oxy-cons, and yes to the two-dial regulator. I set mine about 12, since that's how high it usually got as I turned it up bit by bit! It's still much lower than HH's have theirs at, so I can't see why it would be a problem, and it works fine for me.

beadysam

When my oxycon gets tired after a couple of hours, I often get the same kind of surges.  It is worse when its cold and damp.  get in touch with Martin, he should be able to help you. ;)

mindy23

That's intersting, I'll get in touch with Martin tommorrow and see what he thinks. I've heard oxycons don't like cold/damp, I work in a stone outhouse which doesn't get too damp but definately gets bloomin freezing!  Does anyone work indoors,, like actually in their house?  It's been tempting lately to grab all my stuff and take over a room in the house but I wasn't sure if that was a bit risky, what with all the burning stuff and kilns etc. Just interested to know if anybody does.

glassworks

the one thing that is lethal to oxycons is cold and damp weather - they have mini compressors in there and they really prefer warm and above all dry environments.. we always see a spike in oxycon queries during the cold snaps!!..

having said that - the surging on your propane reg CANNOT be oxycon related as the oxygen pressure is way too low to be affecting your propane reg... either the tank is surging through the reg a bit until it empties a little - or the reg may be playing up...

you should not be pulling enough propane through to cause freezing on your reg, so maybe order a spare one just to be sure and check it out.. the tank may well settle down once you have used a bit more propane out of it..

by way of explanation about the orange light hing, most oxycons have a "low oxygen" sensor which is to protect human patients.. it glows at a ridiculously high level (i seem to remember about 87%) so one on your oxycon is hardly any cause for concern..

we seem to be having a nightmare getting ours delivered right now - they are fine once they get there in one piece though!!..

8) ;D

Fabienne

Hi Mindy,

I'm working in the house I have taken over my son's bedroom while he is at University - doesn't look like he will be moving back home either!
However I'm going into the workshop (Husband insist we call it the workshop NOT the shed!!!) mainly because I have no ventilation ......and our son is back for Christmas!
If I would have more space in the house and could sort out this ventilation problem I would stay in the house ... but I 've been assured the workshop will be warm -hoping we will have a mild winter ;D ;D
Fabienne
x

Mary

I'm half way - in the conservatory. Cosy, but separate enough from the house to feel safe. Though out here beyond the gas main, anyone with a gas cooker has a bottle of propane hooked up just like my torch! And I sometimes look with interest at the monster tank that powers our central heating!

mindy23

Thanks for the explanation Quinton, is there anything that you can do to help the oxycons cope?  I used to live in a caravan so we used to have bowls of salt all over the place to soak up any excess moisture.  In the winter we used to have to go out with a kettle of water to defrost the propane tank that was for our cooker at that time.  The tap part used to freeze solid!  I would love to work indoors but the whole ventialtion thing is a bit difficult, it's interesting to know how other people are working though.  I'm going out now to have a session if it's all behaving itself.  Thanks for helping everyone. :)

glassworks

no problem... the difficulty is that the oxycons are designed to work indoors next to the patient.. the best thing i may be able to suggest is making a simple polystyrene "box" out of poly sheets - with a decent hole to allow air to get in.. this would at least let the heat from the machines keep themselves warm.. please ensure that the hole for the air inlet is next to the inlet on the back of the oxycons though!.. this whole contraption could be lashed together with tape and only requires a knife to carve..

please make sure the oxycons also stand on a sheet of insulation, to keep their "feet" warm...

??? ;D ;D