Upgrading torch advice please.

Started by redjay, February 06, 2014, 06:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redjay

I have been working on my hothead since I started lamp working. I have decided that as soon as I can I want to move to a dual fuel. I do have a small lamp working business so it is an investment and it will be needing to last me for a while. I have been looking at the kits on tuffnells. I will be getting an oxycon too. What should I go for? What are the differences between the nortel, bobcat, cricket etc? I want to make the right choice. Thanks in advance. x :)

Hamilton Taylor

Are you happy with the work you are doing on the hothead, or do you find you need a pointier flame? If the former, consider the minor - bushy flame, good for general heating, capable of pointy, detail flame, but not very. If the latter, consider the bobcat - modern design, makes better use of available oxy from an oxycon than the minor, capable of a pointier flame, can be a bit aggressive when doing general heating. Cricket is like a mini-bobcat - designed specifically to make use of a single concentrator. Minor and bobcat will both work off one concentrator, but will be very happy to work from 2, if and when you upgrade.

In reality, to a certain extent, it doesn't matter which you choose just now - your working style will adapt to your torch. And, if this is your business, you will probably find yourself with both minor and bobcat before too long - just because, different applications require different torches for efficient work by different people!

hth,

Sean

Nicknack

If you can wait until April, and if you can get to Flame Off, then you can try out the torches there to see what suits you.

Nick

redjay

Thank you for that.
I am wanting to upgrade so that I can work a bit faster and a bit cleaner. I also want to do some bigger things which I struggle to do on a hh.

I'm not sure how important a pointy flame is too me, can anyone elaborate to what the benefits of this are please? Sorry :-[

Glyn Burton

I have a minor, mega minor and a mid range set up at the moment. My default torch is the mega minor running on 2 oxy-cons, I find it to be versatile allowing for small controlled flames for stringer work or a hot blast for rapid melting. The mega will also cope with some boro work but if I am doing a lot of boro or large pieces I use the mid range.
I can be bead making for 6 hours a day between 3 and 6 days per week so the torches get a lot of use but seem to cope with it fine. I think the idea of going to Flame Off to try things out is good advice but it can be very hard waiting for a new toy.

flowerjasper

I went from a hothead to a mega minor which I love,
If you can get to Flame off its a great chance to try them out,
Dont expect miracles straight away you have to relearn to cope with the extra heat  :D
Sandy

Hamilton Taylor

I agree with those above - try to get to the flameoff if you can, but if you can't, ask around here if you can visit someone who uses the model you are interested in. It's is hard to know, if you can't try before you buy.

Sean

Lotti

I agree have a try before you buy (I loved my minor though and it is for sale if you wanted one ;) ).  :) :)

Barnacle Bay

I agree with all of the above esp if you get the chance to try them out at Flame Off. I didn't try my Minor but I love it, it even does work with borro even with one Oxycon.

I decided to buy the Minor as it has really good reviews.

If you don't get the chance to try them out, I advise you to wait until after the show has finished as I bought my Minor as an ex demo from the show at a reduced price - nothing wrong with it as it just had a few hours use, and I loved the fact that I saved some money so hold fire as they will list them shortly afterwards but you may have to be quick  ;)  Oh yeah and talk about lightening speed delivery - I received it the next day with the Oxy (free P & P)  :)

Hope that helps.

Lou