Main Menu

Which Kiln?

Started by Jemma, January 21, 2014, 01:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemma

Hello, I am new to glass.
I was wondering can anyone recommend a kiln for lamp working and fusing?
Can I use the same kiln for both?
Thank you  :D

Nicknack

I use a Paragon SC2 with a bead door.  It's fine for both lampwork and fusing, and is a good starter kiln.

Nick

Zeldazog

Hi Jemma

Welcome to Frit Happens.

Take a look through the forum, you will find this subject has been discussed time and time again, pros (and cons) of the SC2, other options such as the Bead Cube, etc.

There are quite a few of the threads are on this board, but you will find people may have posted in other areas of the forum too:

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=102.0

Dawn

Jemma

Thanks for the response will look though the post on the link

Thanks again

Jemma 

GaysieMay

My advice would be go as big as your wallet and space will allow.  :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

mel

I have had a paragon Caldera for years, it's big enough for lampwork and small to medium fused pieces. and with a bead collar, you can put in kiln furniture to give 2 shelves. The kiln controller is great.
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: mel on February 27, 2014, 11:13:49 AM
I have had a paragon Caldera for years, it's big enough for lampwork and small to medium fused pieces. and with a bead collar, you can put in kiln furniture to give 2 shelves. The kiln controller is great.

I agree with the above - its a super kiln for the price.  I bought mine from:
http://www.hobbyceramicraft.co.uk/kiln_full_detail/110/Paragon_Caldera_Kiln.htm

GlassWorks

the caldera is great - the bead door collar also allows you to go even higher, if you have the standard caldera to start with... great for melts as well as slumping etc....

Barnacle Bay

It also does ceramics as its high fire 1285c  ;)

tuffnell glass

Hi Jemma ,
                 I would go for the SC2 with a bead door allowing you the flexibility to anneal beads direct from the flame , batch anneal your beads , fuse , slump and enamel as well as silver clay (with all that it has to do  jacket potatoes too)

Its a super compact kiln , easy to program and use and holds its value very well if , heavens forbid you should ever want to sell it .

Best wishes ,
Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk