Poorly SC2 any ideas ?

Started by Chameleon, January 15, 2014, 04:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chameleon

Hi folks, hoping someone might know what is up with my SC2. I put it on first thing this morning, first section of schedule was to ramp at 150 degrees c per hour to 675 and hold for 30 mins. It got to 200 fine then went at full to 600 then it stopped and cooled very rapidly. I turned it off waited until it cooled and restarted it, in 45 minutes temperature has got to 60 degrees so something somewhere isnt right .....

Help !!

Steampunkglass

Was the relay still clicking on and off the second time you fired it?  ??? ??? ??? I'm not sure, sounds like the controller, but I am sure someone more expert will be along in a moment  ??? ??? ???

Chameleon

Thanks Glenn, yes the relay is clicking (I do have a spare of that) but it isnt making the slight buzzing noise that usually comes just after the click of the relay, I did wonder about the controller  :(

Barnacle Bay

Thermocouple in place?  Has it been moved lately. as mine although not a SC2 had a giggle fit after moving it around?

Chameleon

A quick look round it all seems normal and it was moved a few weeks back but has been working fine since.

Dragonfire Glass

You can check the thermocouple by holding it when cold - it should register a temperature change.
Is it showing any error messages?

Chameleon

No, no error codes and thermocouple is registering changes in temperature

Steampunkglass

When it does go on is there any glow from the elements? I've had a controller go before, it 'forgot' any new program or changes I put into it, there really only seems 4 major things to go wrong, thermocouple (sounds fine if it's showing changes in temperature) element, relay and controller. If you have a spare relay might be worth swapping it over just to rule it out in case it's not making contact properly or it's sticking and causing the overfire, and keep an eye open for any loose connections too  :-\

Chameleon

The element was glowing earlier but currently the kiln isn't for doing anything at all - set the controller to start,the relay clicks on but nothing happens controller shows no change in temp, no hum from kiln like there would normally be and no glow or anything from elements. Argh why do these things always happen at the worst time !! You're right Glenn I'll try changing the relay in the morning on the off chance

Dragonfire Glass

If you have an electrical tester you can check the charge going through various bits, like the element. It will help pinpoint the problem.
I think there's a manual to follow either in the bumpf that came with the kiln or on the paragon website  - google how to :)

Chameleon

Thanks Colette good idea, I'm sure we have one somewhere its just a matter of which box it might be in !  :-\

MangoBeads

Becky my SC2 did exactly this as it hasn't been used over Christmas it's taken me a week of just putting it through its paces for it to recover - I've not made any beads but it seems to be working now - is it possible it's cold and damp from not having much use ?

Mine wouldn't heat up it clicked once then went quiet - then it would eventually heat to temp but cooled itself straight away with no hold but now it seems fine :) - so frustrating :(

Chameleon

Manda, Mine might be complaining from overuse its been on pretty much night and day since Christmas, I don't think it fired properly yesterday and then it's gone completely today  :( I'll have a try at a couple of simple programmes see if that kicks it into working, it is in a cold garage. Thanks for the idea :)

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: Chameleon on January 15, 2014, 09:44:36 PM
it is in a cold garage. Thanks for the idea :)

I hope no water has found its way in or dropped down  :-\

Redhotsal

As you have recently moved it, could it possibly be that the element has worked its way loose? I don't know much about Paragons but when my old Bluebird travelled by the time it got to its destination the element had come adrift. Pushing it back into position by its new owner seemed to correct the problem. Could be barking up the wrong tree but it's possibly worth checking?