Poorly SC2 any ideas ?

Started by Chameleon, January 15, 2014, 04:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chameleon

Following an exciting session with a multimeter it looks like its the element  died :'( :'( :'( thanks everyone for your help and suggestions

Dragonfire Glass

If you are planning on replacing it, rather than buying a new kiln, you will have to do it through Paragon as nowhere in the UK keeps them in stock as far as I know.

Chameleon

Yes looking into it and given the age of my kiln it isn't financially sensible to repair it  :'( poor kiln

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Chameleon on January 16, 2014, 08:52:54 PM
Yes looking into it and given the age of my kiln it isn't financially sensible to repair it  :'( poor kiln
:( :( :( I am sure there is a bit more life in it yet, I have an ancient paragon kiln here with a sentry 2 controller  :o that was battered with damaged bricks and mangled element, but with a bit of tlc (and a new element from Kilncare) it's still going strong  ;)

Chameleon

Im not throwing it away Glenn dont worry ;) but given that once my studio is done Im getting a big kiln and Ive been looking at a larger kiln for sculptural flamework and keeping the SC2 as basically a test kiln / back up it doesnt make sense to throw money at it at the moment, it would have been helpful if it could have waited a while before it died so that it wasnt such a panic situation but a chat with the lovely gentlemen at Kilncare improved things no end on that front  :)

garishglobes

What are you looking at as a replacement, Becky? I've been trying to get something larger for sculptural work too (one with facility for part of a piece to be garaged while I make others, so one where a holding rod can stick out) but at the moment, I seem to be hitting a bit of a brick wall  :-\

Steampunkglass

Quotebut a chat with the lovely gentlemen at Kilncare improved things no end on that front
They do seem to be the superheros of the kiln world!  ;)

Have you looked for old ceramic kilns of ebay Emma, and then just upgrade the controller? I think some sculptural people tend to buy old kilns and cut a corner out of the door for a rod to poke through  ??? ??? ???

Lee - Kilncare

mmmmmmm upon reflection I would be interested why your controller didn't come up with the dreaded TCL error as it should have realised it was asking for heat and was not getting any.....thus triggering an alarm. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732