Where to buy tools

Started by Tonyb, November 22, 2013, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyb

Hi,

I'm getting kit together to start lampworking but can't find many places in the UK selling tools like marvers and paddles etc. Is Tuffnells the only online place?

Thanks

Tony

www.beadables.co.uk

Shirley

Tuffnells is your main place. There is also Off Mandrel, who get a lot of their stock from Tuffnell's but do have some different marvers and shapers.

To be honest, if you are starting out unless you are lucky with buying second hand stuff you can't really do better than one of the Tuffnell's kits. You can ring them and get plenty of advice too.

And no, I don't work for them! :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Lotti

Quote from: Shirley on November 22, 2013, 04:34:52 PM
Tuffnells is your main place. There is also Off Mandrel, who get a lot of their stock from Tuffnell's but do have some different marvers and shapers.

To be honest, if you are starting out unless you are lucky with buying second hand stuff you can't really do better than one of the Tuffnell's kits. You can ring them and get plenty of advice too.

And no, I don't work for them! :D

LOL, and I don't either, but Tuffnells are good and very very helpful so if you aren't sure just give them a call.  There is Off Mandrel who are also very helpful and there are a few smaller suppliers in the UK, but if you are new I would go to Tuffnells (or Off Mandrel) as you can get most of what you want in one place then. 

Nicknack

Warm Glass also do quite a lot of tools etc.

Nick

MadelineBunyan

useful thread with various suppliers of glass and tools etc, not all Uk based though.
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19701.0

Pauline

there are a lot of things you can use that you may already have such as tweezers, pliers, sugar or ice tongs, sharp knives and spoons. anyything brass is good, I found a decorative set of mini brass love spoons, fork and cream skimmer of which the 2 spoons are brilliant.  lots of people have old dental tools or metal modelling tools as well.  you can make mandrels from 316 (or310) stainless steel welding rods. however don't skimp on proper safety glasses (you can't see what you are making without them anyway!)

Hamilton Taylor

Of course, we have a rather good sale on at the moment, with 15% off all our tools, along with good discounts elsewhere...

(Disclaimer: This post is presented for the purposes of information only, and does not constitute an advertisement.)

Did I get away with it?  ::)

Pauline

flame n fuse

Sean: Loved your orchid at the SGS show.

Hamilton Taylor

Thank you! Very kind...

Bit chilly though, eh!

Nicknack

Quote from: flame n fuse on November 22, 2013, 10:12:45 PM

Oooo, can we see a picture?  Please?

Nick

mizgeorge

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on November 22, 2013, 07:44:08 PM
Of course, we have a rather good sale on at the moment, with 15% off all our tools, along with good discounts elsewhere...

(Disclaimer: This post is presented for the purposes of information only, and does not constitute an advertisement.)

Of course you did, and you should have remembered to tell us here as well: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=32.0

flame n fuse

yes Sean, perishing cold, though impressive venue!

Lotti

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on November 22, 2013, 07:44:08 PM

LOL :) :)

Hamilton Taylor

Quote from: Nicknack on November 22, 2013, 11:28:53 PM
Quote from: flame n fuse on November 22, 2013, 10:12:45 PM

Oooo, can we see a picture?  Please?

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for your interest!
It's on the Hamilton Taylor facebook photostream, which hopefully you can get to by clicking this Clicky. There's pics of other stuff there, too. If you can't get to it for any reason, let me know, and I think it's on my flickr as well, somewhere...

Sean