Any idea what kiln this is?

Started by anditsinthefish, August 10, 2013, 08:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

I was wondering if one of you very knowledgeable people knows what kiln this might be...

IMG_1477 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

IMG_1476 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

It was given to a friend from an art teacher who made ceramic sculptures and my friend has never used it so had handed it over to me as my maxine wont go as hot as I'd like for my next little project. It looked like it has hardly been used judging by the insides. My dad reckons the electrics are all secure and safe and the gauge on the side seems relatively self explanatory. But was just wondering if anyone knew its make or anything :)
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

♥♥Tan♥♥

It looks like a test fire kilns, used in ceramics the smaller kilns are more economical and faster to fire to see how new glaze recipes will turn out rather than risk them on a finished piece. It should fire above 1000c, I cant help with the make have you looked on the info panel to see if there is a name?

anditsinthefish

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on August 11, 2013, 08:39:04 AM
It looks like a test fire kilns, used in ceramics the smaller kilns are more economical and faster to fire to see how new glaze recipes will turn out rather than risk them on a finished piece. It should fire above 1000c, I cant help with the make have you looked on the info panel to see if there is a name?

Thanks Tan! It says on the side that it will fire up to 1300'C but there is no make or number or anything. Never mind, I am still so excited to give my new work a go. And who can say no to a free kiln!
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Pat from Canvey

The inside has the same arrangement of elements as my old ceramic kiln which I bought second hand about 20 years ago. It's wired in to a dedicated 30 amp socket with I believe, it's own ring main. At that time, I wanted the kiln for stained glass painting etc so had a digital controller fitted by Essex Kilns. The kiln has since been used to do pot melts, glass combing, fusing, slumps and bead batch annealing before I bought my SC2. It's still going strong despite it's age. I've also used it to change bog standard white ceramic tiles to decorated ones with various designs. Sorry I can't go into the garage at the moment to look at the name but am incapacitated with a fibreglass cast on my right leg. I seem to recall though that mine is a Fulham Pottery kiln.

Nicknack

I hope your leg gets better quickly, Pat.  What are you doing to keep your hands occupied - can't imagine you doing nothing?

Nick

anditsinthefish

Aw Pat, I wish you a speedy recovery! Ah that seems to make sense, there was a bag of what I guess are mini kiln bricks in a Fulham Pottery Bag. Best go off and do some research! Ah having a digital controller might be a plan... it is costly to have done?
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Glyn Burton

Not very expensive about £250, the guys at Stafford Instruments are a mine of information and advice and will supply what you need.

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on August 11, 2013, 08:39:04 AM

Agree totally with Tan in respect that it is a test firekiln.  Forget the make as that really doesn't matter, but I would get the person to fire it up b4 purchasing and for you 2 b present.  Keep a close eye on the elements when it is firing.  Take some kiln glasses & look for 'Hot Spots' anything that glows hotter or brighter orange in the elements.  If that happens then, be sure to calculate element replacement into the price, as they may go soon and the temp may not be accurate.  Elements can be replaced via cubic inch of the kiln and most 'good' supliers regardless of brand would offer you an alternative replacement option, but they arn't cheap, unless, you can make your own.

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Nicknack on August 11, 2013, 03:57:17 PM
I hope your leg gets better quickly, Pat.  What are you doing to keep your hands occupied - can't imagine you doing nothing?

Nick
I'm doing a bit of crochet, just basic stuff at present. Another 5 weeks of the cast to go. Going upstairs to bed backwards, on my bum is a great picture.

Lee - Kilncare

The kiln is an old Kilns and Furnaces.
Test kiln maybe, or maybe just a small ceramics kiln, however, the door switch is unusual in that it automatically operates as the door is opened which would suggest that the kiln was a possible special build for laboratory use maybe.
If that's the case then the elements may well be bunching towards the front of the kiln but I'm not sure just how much that will effect performance as 1300c kilns are never the most even down at glass temperatures anyway.

One thing to be mindful of, if that is a 3kw kiln it may not have a contactor in the back which means fitting a controller could be a bit more of a job than first thought. Unless the kiln already has a controller but it only looks like it has an indicator.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Lee - Kilncare

Oh and don't let the Fulham Pottery bit confuse you, they used to buy Kilns and Furnaces kilns and label them there own.

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

♥♥Tan♥♥

Lee would one of Staffords plug in controllers do the job on this one? The ones that you plug the kiln into the controller and then the controller into the mains I mean.

Lee - Kilncare

Yes it would, our KCR1 is a re-badged version.

You would also need a plug for the thermocouple as looking at the thermocouple cable type, it is an old type and may be too thick for modern day mini-plugs which are needed to plug the thermocouple into the controller, but that isn't a major issue to be honest.

TWITTER @kilncare

anditsinthefish

Quote from: Lee - Kilncare on August 13, 2013, 10:24:00 AM
Yes it would, our KCR1 is a re-badged version.

You would also need a plug for the thermocouple as looking at the thermocouple cable type, it is an old type and may be too thick for modern day mini-plugs which are needed to plug the thermocouple into the controller, but that isn't a major issue to be honest.

You guys are so good! thanks everyone... though could you explain this to the clueless one in simpler terms please :)
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Lee - Kilncare

Yep simples. The KCR1 has two sockets on it. One is a 13 amp standard 3 pin that the kiln plugs into.

The smaller socket on the side of the KCR1 is where the kilns thermocouple plugs into and tells the KCR1 how hot the kiln is.
The plug that is fitted to the end of the thermocouple cable is quite small.
Looking at the picture I can see that the cable on the thermocouple at present is the old, thick heat resistant type and this may be too fat to fit into the little plug.
It may mean swapping the thermocouple cable as well to the new, thinner type.

Hope that helps.

TWITTER @kilncare