Main Menu

New CIM, Dare I ask?

Started by helenfc, June 28, 2013, 10:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Kaz on September 02, 2013, 03:03:32 PM
Don't you? The OCD in me doesn't like an incomplete collection!
Kazx

As Carole always says, It's not like the stuff goes off.

Quote from: Shirley on September 02, 2013, 02:39:49 PM
I know that I've got lots of glass I've barely touched so I might experiment more with that rather than buy new colours.

It is very true though we aren't, any of us, going to 'run out' any time soon and this come from the person who has only got (on average) access to three rods of every colour from the 'collection'.  (It's all in storage)  but, you know, just to make sure, I've ordered some more.   ::)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Nicknack

Quote from: helbels on September 02, 2013, 04:15:09 PM
Funnily enough I was wondering the other day if we should run a challenge where everyone commits to making something with glass from their stash that they've either never used, or not used in ages.  I'm sure we all have lots.   I found a whole bundle of Ghee the other day that I've never used.

What a brilliant idea, Helen!  Please wait till I'm back from USA, as I'd love to try this.  Back on 14th :D

Nick

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Nicknack on September 02, 2013, 05:02:39 PM
[What a brilliant idea, Helen!  Please wait till I'm back from USA, as I'd love to try this.  Back on 14th :D
Nick

I hope you've arranged someone to look after the orchids while you're away  ;)  ;)  ;)

Nicknack

Yes Pat, my friend Julia is house sitting, looking after the orchids, the 3 cats, 8 chickens, 3 geese and 2 ducks.  She's brilliant, a good friend! :D :D

We're just about to leave for the airport! :D :D :D

Nick

kizzy1

CIM (was) my all time fav glass to work with until I found out about all the ltd runs! I and most of my customers loved my beads made with CIM crocus, now I can't get any more and I'm so p......ed off that I refuse to buy any more CIM glass, I didn't even realise crocus was ltd run, lost without it :/

Kizzy
the perpous of life is 2 experience your excillence & then go home.

SilverGems89

errrrrm....crocus isn't a ltd run  ??? It's just extortionately expensive! (but worth every penny!)

Arwynd

Shirley

Crocus is just not available. Martin was saying today he adds it to his order every time and it never arrives. One day, maybe.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

helbels

I have to admit I've completely gone off CIM now, I just cannot be doing with all the Ltd Runs that are 1 shade different from the last lot.  They'd have to come out with something really smashingly different now for me to part with my money.

theflyingbedstead

This is a very interesting thread.
I find it refreshing that CIM is experimenting with their glass on such a large scale, and they have produced some marvellous colours. Ok - some of them are very close to their standard colours and so there should be more clarity there. But...The jadeite colour palette in particular is so delicious and it is hard to obtain similar colours from Effetre, who are producing limited runs themselves and I wonder if it is because CIM has set a precedent?
It would be a shame if we judged them too harshly and effectively put them out of business by not buying and investing in their glass. I think that we would lose out too.
Charlotte x

Calico Cat

Being something of a cynic, I have always assumed that these Limited runs started out as failed batches of the standard colours - originally called Unique XXXXX . . . . . hence why the colours were so close. They were sold at a lower price than the standards.

Now I think CIM may be deliberately creating them to exploit the market for limited availability product at a higher price. I can't say I blame them - for the moment at least it seems like a sound business model.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

SilverGems89

I have two niggles with CIM, the first being we get a large number of these ltd runs (which rarely interest me unless they are retired production colours) yet, as in the case of crocus, poseidon and a few others, the supposed regular production colours are out of stock for months on end, the second being, of the last release of "new" production colours a couple were very swiftly retired to being ltd  :-\

kizzy1

How odd, when I called to order more crocus from tuffnells I was informed it was discontinued! I can't think why they told me that..... They no longer have it on their CIM page, will have to investigate as i'ed love to get a hold of more... Down to my last 3 rods.
Another thing about CIM is the price of the pinks, coming from a fusing background I always though red glass to be the most expensive to produce as gold was needed to make it....maybe gold is in pinks but would have thought more was in the reds.... Hummm interesting.
the perpous of life is 2 experience your excillence & then go home.

ARBeads

I presume CIM are having the same problem as Effetre and can't get the rare earth minerals that the colours are based on. The next thing we're going to see sky rocket in price will be the ACE/Diddy glasses - they use the same minerals Praseodymium and Neodymium.

China control the mines and have been increasing taxes and trying to stop illegal mines over the last few years - it's everywhere but no one else seemed to think it was worth the effort to mine. http://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/jun/19/rare-earth-minerals-china
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Trudi

Is there a perfect company .... No
I'm a big fan of CiM .... They listen to their customers ... I've emailed Kathy many times and she's taken my comments on board. They share information about colours and invite people to send in pictures of their work. If I've had any issues I've again contacted Kathy direct and she's helped to resolve them.
They're forefront in bringing out new colours that we all crave .. we don't have to buy them (I know!! LOL) but there is the choice!!

Ok so sometimes it doesn't work out right .. we all have that problem. So maybe they do brand the batches that come out differently as ltd run and sell it ..... why not, it makes sense to me .. and at least they are telling you it's a limited run so you know.
Dark lavender you can't get for love nor money ... have effetre bothered making more .. no but CiM did .. and I know it costs more  .. all credit to CiM for taking the chance .... They could make it an no one buys it ... so it's a risk.

So before you knock them .. can you say the same things about other glass manufacturers??