DIY Bowl for Batch

Started by Beansprout, February 08, 2013, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beansprout

Would chicken wire survive in the annealing batch programme? I have been thinking of ways to make a little bowl (to mimic the pyrex bowl idea that a lot of people use).

I also got a little cheap baking tray tin thing, it's black, and about the size of the inside of the beadcube (I've got Bloke at hand to chop it if needs be)... Has anyone tried baking tins before?

I can't always use the kebab-stylee because I make a lot of off-end-mandrel beads.

Zeldazog

I'm not sure if chicken wire would be galvanised like garden wire is - in which case, it bubbles and will give off fumes, I think at a lowish temperature that might affect your glass?  (I was going to use galvanised garden wire in fusing, but don't know what it will do, so need to wait until I can experiment).

No idea what would happen to a baking tin - I suppose it depend what it is made of - but they're only designed for ovens, and therefore 220 degrees, probably 300 max - you're going a lot higher, even with annealing.

Stainless steel should be okay though, as that can go up to slumping temperatures, above annealing. 

Pauline

heating anything galvanised gives off mustard gas, Ann says so probably best not to then :o

mizgeorge

But what's wrong with a little pyrex bowl?

Zeldazog

Blue Box Studio

You'll pick up a Pyrex bowl for pennies in a charity shop - or most of the supermarkets have them for a couple of quid.  Not sure making mustard gas is the way to go .......... :o
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Beansprout

I haven't been able to find a little pyrex bowl small enough to fit inside me little beadcube :( I have searched all 5 charity shops in my town xD

Zeldazog

Wilkinson sell pyrex glass ramekin dishes, won't one of those fit? 

mizgeorge

lots of posh puddings come in little glass ramekin dishes. And you get to eat the pudding too :)

Zeldazog

Quote from: mizgeorge on February 09, 2013, 11:42:24 AM
lots of posh puddings come in little glass ramekin dishes. And you get to eat the pudding too :)

Might not be pyrex though (but I do love posh pudding glass dishes, I have a growing collection donating by friends who eat posh puddings!)

Blue Box Studio

How small is the inside of a bead cube???

Found a bowl on Ebay, and a small one in Tesco

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-SMALL-CLEAR-GLASS-PYREX-BOWL-DISH-/251187589924

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255512378

A small Pyrex jug would work as well - am sure I've seen those in Wilkinsons and Tesco as well.
Sue

Carl

I was reading this thread earlier before braving the cold of the garage to play with some glass and I just happened to have 2 of them glass pudding jars in front of me, I use them to store small bits in as they stack well and you can see what's in them. Anyway one is now in my kiln, it has sat for a couple of hours at 510c and is now holding at 520c tapping it with a mandrel it still rings like glasss.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Zeldazog on February 09, 2013, 11:49:18 AM
Quote from: mizgeorge on February 09, 2013, 11:42:24 AM

Might not be pyrex though (but I do love posh pudding glass dishes, I have a growing collection donating by friends who eat posh puddings!)

I have rather a lot too - but as is apparent to anyone who has met me, I ate the puddings ::) Not tried one in the kiln though.
Sue

flame n fuse

stainless steel mesh would be OK - you can get it at model shops

Beansprout

Thanks all!

Thank Sue, those look much too big, the bead cube is tiiiiny, w 120mm x  d 130mm x  h 70mm

I'll raid the charity shops on monday again :)

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on February 09, 2013, 12:37:08 PM
How small is the inside of a bead cube???

Found a bowl on Ebay, and a small one in Tesco

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-SMALL-CLEAR-GLASS-PYREX-BOWL-DISH-/251187589924

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255512378

A small Pyrex jug would work as well - am sure I've seen those in Wilkinsons and Tesco as well.